From: naasif@eyrie.img.uu.oz.au (Naasif Gierdien)
Subject: Re: Keyboard input
Date: 22 Sep 90 00:21:48 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <39@screamer.csee.usf.edu>, stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:

> Is there any way in Ada to read single keystrokes from the keyboard? Not the
> GET from TEXT_IO which requires a carriage return before sending the data, but
> as soon as a key is pressed have it sent? We have a whole Ada class that would
> like to know, and no one here can help figure it out. So, I ask the net.
> We've checked books and can't figure it out.
>
> This is for a Data Structures class where we want to write our own I/O
> routines to validate data. But to do what we want to do, we need keys as soon
> as they are hit.

I've had the same problem trying to read single keystrokes from the keyboard.
The main difference is i'm running Janus ADA on a standalone
IBM 286/386 compatable. I also have access to the Meridian
ADA Compiler and libraries but being a relatively new user
to ADA i'm not yet sure what it can do.

> There should be an easy way to do it, but we can't find it. Any ideas? E-mail
> if its simple so this group doesn't get cluttered due to my ignorance...

At least you're not the one :-)

My second question is :-

I want to be able to put higher order ASCII values ( greater than 127 )
to the screen..using the same ADA and hardware as above.

Any suggestions please post here or email me. (Please excuse my ignorance :-)