* 9X and the NEED for preprocessing
@ 1989-12-14 14:17 Bob Munck
From: Bob Munck @ 1989-12-14 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Emery is essentially raising an interesting question sequence:

IF the use of preprocessors for Ada code is at all wide-spread THEN

   ASSUME uncontrolled use of random preprocessors is not in
          agreement with the general principles of Ada use;

   IF the things being done with preprocessors can
      be done easily and understandably in legal Ada THEN

      Write a note/article/book describing the problems being solved
      with preprocessors and the way they should be solved with Ada;

   ELSE

      IF some set of Ada-9X revision suggestions
         would make it possible to do so in Ada-9X THEN

         List them and describe how they solve the problem;

      ELSE

         ASSUME the Ada-9X revision submission period is over;
         Suggest that we have a problem

      END IF
   END IF
END IF

(My apologies for the cutesy if-then-else format.)  I think it's likely
that the result of "running the program" is to suggest that we have a
problem, but I'm not at all familiar with the submitted suggestions.

                                  -- Bob Munck, MITRE McLean

[parent not found: <629648260@<1825>]
* Re: 9X and the NEED for preprocessing
@ 1989-12-22  4:40 Michael Hunter
From: Michael Hunter @ 1989-12-22  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I doubt there is a situation that REQUIRES the use of a preprocessor, but
>that doesn't mean we shouldn't have one.  We don't really NEED a "for loop"
>in Ada, nor recursion, nor many other features that one programmer chooses
>to use while another does not.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.
We HAVE to have (some form of) recursion.  There are some things that just
can't be unrolled.

                                        Michael

Mike Hunter - Box's and CPU's from HELL: iapx80[012]86, PR1ME 50 Series, 1750a
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!bagpiper
INET: bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com