* Bases 1 : size matters
@ 2003-09-08 12:42 Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2003-09-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Sorry if you get this twice.)

I'm planning to include the requirement (in Bases 2) that the package
spec for each container type should be small, say one page long.

In the excelent school (FCTUNL) where I was introduced to Ada they
also had this rule.

Message addendum for CLA:

In the ASCLWG list a number of comments were filed for Bases 1, as
proposed in the Work plan. Soon Bases 2 will be released integrating
these as well as maybe the aforesaid requirement for small specs.

(Although the ASCLWG is the proposed forum to post comments to the
Bases list, CLA is a channel of choice for important notices, so
sometimes a comment is relayed here.)

* Re: Bases 1 : size matters
@ 2003-09-10  0:50 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-09-10  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"M�rio Amado Alves" <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> wrote in message
> (Sorry if you get this twice.)
>
> I'm planning to include the requirement (in Bases 2) that the package
> spec for each container type should be small, say one page long.
>
> In the excelent school (FCTUNL) where I was introduced to Ada they
> also had this rule.

Fair enough, but what is a 'page'? It seems to depend on your system, font
size, etc., which makes it a lousy criteria. I'm used to a 25-line 'page' in
my editor -- which clearly is too limited to do anything useful at all. I'd
suggest a recommended maximum number of lines per spec.

                    Randy.

* maximum number of lines per spec
@ 2003-09-10  7:29   ` Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2003-09-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

(I've changed the subject because it was having problems with spam
blockers. Go figure ;-)

> > I'm planning to include the requirement (in Bases 2) that the package
> > spec for each container type should be small, say one page long.
>
> Fair enough, but what is a 'page'? It seems to depend on your system, font
> size, etc., which makes it a lousy criteria. I'm used to a 25-line 'page' in
> my editor -- which clearly is too limited to do anything useful at all. I'd
> suggest a recommended maximum number of lines per spec. (Randy)

Absolutely. I was thinking about the printed page, A4 size (or the
similar US size). That is about 50 lines with the 'usual' font size
(10 to 12 points).

However note the relation between lines and source-code is also fuzzy
because format is free in Ada.

So I'm also thinking in terms of class of entity count e.g. 3 exported
types, 10 subprograms.

But before we have a better grasp here, I'll propose the 50 lines
limit. It's a recomendation only, so no problem.