From: gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com (Gautier)
Subject: Re: Ann: TeXCAD 4.0 (-\epsilon)
Date: 13 May 2003 09:52:36 -0700
Date: 2003-05-13T16:52:36+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Leake:

> Hmm. "unavoidable" errors that are now fixed; that's a conundrum :).

Isn't it ?

> > If you have a better way, I am all ears!
>
> Well, I need to know what you are using the registry for; I have not
> yet downloaded the sources, nor did I peek into the registry to see
> what you had done to it.

Very bad things. It must be in a terrible shape presently. Run "regedit",
type F3 and "texcad" to see the awful damages I have inflicted.

> > > But the worst thing is that the user cannot change settings on a
> > > per-process basis; the registry is strictly per-user.
> >
> > But how do Install Shield & Co clear the options for all users when
> > uninstalling ?
>
> I don't see how that is relevant to my point. I assume they have a
> list of registry keys they installed, and they simply delete them.

And hopefully, it deletes all user options, so the registry is
not "strictly per-user".

> Which is one problem with the registry approach; if I manage to
> install version 3.2 and 3.3 of something, and then uninstall 3.3, 3.2
> probably doesn't work any more.

If it is just that... ;-)
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm