* Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-23 17:57 Jano
From: Jano @ 2003-04-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello people!

I'm looking for a free source code beautifier. A quick search in Google
is disappointing...

Are out there these things? For windows if possible.

Bye!

--
-------------------------
Jano

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-23 19:08 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-04-23 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano wrote:
> Hello people!
>
> I'm looking for a free source code beautifier. A quick search in Google
> is disappointing...
>
> Are out there these things? For windows if possible.

What do you mean? A tool to generate HTML files of your source or a tool
to correct indentation etc of your source files?

--
Preben Randhol                    http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-23 19:42   ` Jano
       [not found]     ` <871xzsg8zk.fsf@sdbk.de>
From: Jano @ 2003-04-23 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol dice...
> Jano wrote:
> > Hello people!
> >
> > I'm looking for a free source code beautifier. A quick search in Google
> > is disappointing...
> >
> > Are out there these things? For windows if possible.
>
> What do you mean? A tool to generate HTML files of your source or a tool
> to correct indentation etc of your source files?

Sorry for the obscurity. I mean the later (for example, which puts
variables in mixed case, insert spaces missing before ':=', ':', etc.

--
-------------------------
Jano

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-23 19:53     ` Vinzent Hoefler
       [not found]     ` <871xzsg8zk.fsf@sdbk.de>
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-04-23 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano <nono@celes.unizar.es> wrote:

>Sorry for the obscurity. I mean the later (for example, which puts
>variables in mixed case, insert spaces missing before ':=', ':', etc.

I use -gnaty. The rest is manual work...

Well, probably not, what you wanted, but sometimes even pretty
printers go crazy.

Vinzent.

--
Parents strongly cautioned  --  this  posting  is  intended for mature
audiences  over  18.  It  may  contain some material that many parents

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-23 20:49 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-04-23 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm looking for a free source code beautifier. A quick search in Google
> is disappointing...
>
> Are out there these things? For windows if possible.

There is a reformatter in AdaGIDE
(http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html)

* Re: Code beautifiers
       [not found]     ` <871xzsg8zk.fsf@sdbk.de>
@ 2003-04-23 22:58       ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2003-04-23 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian D.B. Krause dice...

> (X)Emacs + ada-mode.

I've toyed with adagide but I'm so dependant on vi-mode that can't go
forward with it (but I knew of its reformatting capacities).

I presume (as adagide) that emacs reformats as you write? I would be
interested in batch processing... It's for a good bunch of very ugly old
files.

--
-------------------------
Jano

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-23 23:25         ` Jeffrey Creem
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2003-04-23 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jano" <nono@celes.unizar.es> wrote in message
> Sebastian D.B. Krause dice...
>
> > (X)Emacs + ada-mode.
>
> I've toyed with adagide but I'm so dependant on vi-mode that can't go
> forward with it (but I knew of its reformatting capacities).
>
> I presume (as adagide) that emacs reformats as you write? I would be
> interested in batch processing... It's for a good bunch of very ugly old
> files.

Note that the reformat code in adagide is pretty close to being standalone.
You could rip it out and make a batch processor.

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-24  0:41         ` Preben Randhol
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-04-24  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano wrote:
> I've toyed with adagide but I'm so dependant on vi-mode that can't go
> forward with it (but I knew of its reformatting capacities).
>
> I presume (as adagide) that emacs reformats as you write? I would be
> interested in batch processing... It's for a good bunch of very ugly old
> files.

If I only had time I would make this for vim. By the way did you try vim
with the scripts?

--

@ 2003-04-24  0:43         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-04-24  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano wrote:

> I've toyed with adagide but I'm so dependant on vi-mode that can't go
> forward with it (but I knew of its reformatting capacities).

By the way Vim fixes the indentation for you, just get the latest
versions of the scripts at vim.sf.net.

--

@ 2003-04-24  5:03 ` kat-Zygfryd
From: kat-Zygfryd @ 2003-04-24  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello people!
>
> I'm looking for a free source code beautifier. A quick search in Google
> is disappointing...
>
> Are out there these things? For windows if possible.
>
> Bye!
>
> --
> -------------------------
> Jano
> 402450.at.cepsz.unizar.es
> -------------------------

try pcGRASP, it reformats the code and embedds really sexy diagrams into it.
Unfortunately you can't change the default tab width, which is 3 spaces.

Zygfryd

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-24 10:30   ` David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-04-24 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:03:08 +0200
"kat-Zygfryd" <6667@wp.pl> wrote:

> try pcGRASP, it reformats the code and embedds really sexy diagrams into it.
> Unfortunately you can't change the default tab width, which is 3 spaces.
>
> Zygfryd

That is the GNAT default width, so that is probably what he wants.

//David

* Re: Code beautifiers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-24 14:29 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2003-04-24 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano:

> I'm looking for a free source code beautifier. A quick search in Google
> is disappointing...
>
> Are out there these things? For windows if possible.

This one is not bad :
  http://www.irvine.com/freebies.html
To compare the result and the original this tool is useful :
  http://www.adalog.fr/compo1.htm#Normalize

HTH
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-24 16:30       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-04-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> writes:

> Jano <nono@celes.unizar.es> wrote:
>
> >Sorry for the obscurity. I mean the later (for example, which puts
> >variables in mixed case, insert spaces missing before ':=', ':', etc.
>
> I use -gnaty. The rest is manual work...

Doesn't have to be manual work. Emacs Ada mode (with my extensions,
see http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/) can automatically correct
most of the errors that -gnaty gives you.

GPS does this also.

> Well, probably not, what you wanted, but sometimes even pretty
> printers go crazy.

Agreed. Much better to write the code in good style in the first
place. Even then, I rely on -gnaty to check me.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Code beautifiers
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-24 16:32         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-04-24 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano <nono@celes.unizar.es> writes:

> I presume (as adagide) that emacs reformats as you write?

It does (if enabled).

> I would be interested in batch processing... It's for a good bunch
> of very ugly old files.

Emac can also do this.

However, gnat with -gnaty does more than just Emacs ada-mode.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-24 16:32   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-04-24 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"kat-Zygfryd" <6667@wp.pl> writes:

> Unfortunately you can't change the default tab width, which is 3 spaces.

Well, that's the right number, why would you want to change it ? :)

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Code beautifiers
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-24 18:37         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-04-24 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jano <nono@celes.unizar.es> wrote:
:
: I presume (as adagide) that emacs reformats as you write? I would be
: interested in batch processing... It's for a good bunch of very ugly old
: files.

Maybe you can use (ada-indent-region BEG END) in a small
Emacs lisp program. It reads all Ada files from a directory
into a hidden buffer one by one, marks all of the text as the
region, applies ada-indent-region, and saves.

-- Georg

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-24 18:44           ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2003-04-24 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol dice...
> Jano wrote:

> If I only had time I would make this for vim. By the way did you try vim
> with the scripts?

Yes! I'm now much happier with the :A and the left side navigator...

I also downloaded Emacs but feel that burden of the unknown... perhaps
later ;)

--
-------------------------
Jano

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-25  6:03         ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-04-25  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote:

>Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> writes:
>
>> Jano <nono@celes.unizar.es> wrote:
>>
>> >Sorry for the obscurity. I mean the later (for example, which puts
>> >variables in mixed case, insert spaces missing before ':=', ':', etc.
>>
>> I use -gnaty. The rest is manual work...
>
>Doesn't have to be manual work. Emacs Ada mode (with my extensions,
>see http://www.toadmail.com/~ada_wizard/) can automatically correct
>most of the errors that -gnaty gives you.

Well, I don't like emacs... the old editor wars.

>> Well, probably not, what you wanted, but sometimes even pretty
>> printers go crazy.
>
>Agreed. Much better to write the code in good style in the first
>place. Even then, I rely on -gnaty to check me.

Yes. Although I don't perfectly agree with the default options
(especially the line length, I'd rather have it set to 72), I can live
with that.

But then, who agrees with a coding standard that he didn't designed
himself, anyway? ;)

Vinzent.

--

@ 2003-04-25 13:19           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-04-25 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> wrote:
: But then, who agrees with a coding standard that he didn't designed
: himself, anyway? ;)

Here!

-- Georg

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-25 13:42           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-04-25 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> writes:

> Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> >Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> writes:
> >
> >Agreed. Much better to write the code in good style in the first
> >place. Even then, I rely on -gnaty to check me.
>
> Yes. Although I don't perfectly agree with the default options
> (especially the line length, I'd rather have it set to 72), I can live
> with that.

Hmm. I set the line length limit to 120. That way I can use long
variable names without lots of line breaks.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Code beautifiers
@ 2003-04-25 13:59             ` Vinzent Hoefler
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-04-25 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote:

>Vinzent Hoefler <ada.rocks@jlfencey.com> writes:
>
>> Yes. Although I don't perfectly agree with the default options
>> (especially the line length, I'd rather have it set to 72), I can live
>> with that.
>
>Hmm. I set the line length limit to 120.

Wow.

>That way I can use long
>variable names without lots of line breaks.

But then you have to print the sourcefiles in landscape mode. :-)

I rather even have place for some side-comments on review. Not to talk
about the console which is still restricted to 80 chars per line...

Vinzent.