* Ada 83 Random Generator - or ??
@ 2001-06-14 17:07 Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2001-06-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there out there a "free" package vaguely similar to
Ada.Numerics.Discrete_Random, which is portable to all
Ada 83 AND 95 compilers ?

OR ... would someone like to recommend a reasonably sized
(over 300 lines) self-contained fully-portable no-cost
compile-and-run program of any sort that contains at least
one task and one generic?

(Yes, I am already looking through some of the Ada web sites.
Weeding out those that need Ada 95 takes some time--and most
of the old stuff has parts missing or is compiler-specific)

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: Ada 83 Random Generator - or ??
@ 2001-06-14 17:18 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-06-14 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3B28EF6D.BE151572@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com>, Wes Groleau says...
>OR ... would someone like to recommend a reasonably sized
>(over 300 lines) self-contained fully-portable no-cost
>compile-and-run program of any sort that contains at least
>one task and one generic?

The SETI@Home Service might qualify, but its not exactly what you might call
"portable". :-)

---

* Re: Ada 83 Random Generator - or ??
@ 2001-06-15  3:06 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-06-15  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau wrote:

> Is there out there a "free" package vaguely similar to
> Ada.Numerics.Discrete_Random, which is portable to all
> Ada 83 AND 95 compilers ?

The PragmAda reusable components includes an implementation of
Marsaglia's "universal" random number generator, and I may have a copy
of the 83 version around somewhere. In any case, there are not too many
95-isms in the 95 version, so you could clean it up yourself pretty
easily. It includes a function that returns a uniformly distributed
integer in a given range, which is "vaguely similar to
Ada.Numerics.Discrete_Random". It should also be completely portable
once converted completely to Ada 83.

--
Jeff Carter
"We burst our pimples at you."

* Re: Ada 83 Random Generator - or ??
@ 2001-06-15 11:59 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2001-06-15 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau :

> Is there out there a "free" package vaguely similar to
> Ada.Numerics.Discrete_Random, which is portable to all
> Ada 83 AND 95 compilers ?

Check U_Rand.* in mathpaqs.zip @ http://www.diax.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

HTH

G.