* Re: Help, asking for code to print out an enumerated type
       [not found] <37008a4c-cdbf-42f4-b806-352501419ff6@n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>
@ 2008-11-21 16:37 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2008-11-21 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

ChristopherL schrieb:
> Today, I'm looking for someone to post all the code to print out an
> enumerated type in Ada 83. Ideally, I would like a small program with
> an enumerated variable containing code to print it out.

I guess you can add to our enthusiam for giving "all
the code" by alluding to the incentive you are offering.

@ 2008-11-21 17:24 ` Anh Vo
       [not found]   ` <c72d282b-044a-44ac-be29-de9de4188418@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com>
From: Anh Vo @ 2008-11-21 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 21, 8:21 am, ChristopherL <clusard...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone in Ada land,
>
> Today, I'm looking for someone to post all the code to print out an
> enumerated type in Ada 83. Ideally, I would like a small program with
> an enumerated variable containing code to print it out.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

This code should work for all Ada including Ada 2005. I hope you get
the idea to print any
enumerated values.

with Text_Io;
procedure Print_Enum_Values is
   I_Prefer_Ada : Boolean := True;   -- type Boolean is (True, False);
defined in Standard
begin
   Text_Io.Put_Line ("Are you prefer Ada? " & Boolean'Image
(I_Prefer_Ada));
end Print_Enum_Values;

@ 2008-11-21 18:12     ` Georg Bauhaus
       [not found]       ` <04e810ee-d4f0-4947-b7c9-78790706d20f@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com>
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2008-11-21 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

ChristopherL schrieb:
> On Nov 21, 9:24 am, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This code should work for all Ada including Ada 2005. I hope you get
>> the idea to print any
>> enumerated values.
>>
>> with Text_Io;
>> procedure Print_Enum_Values is
>>    I_Prefer_Ada : Boolean := True;   -- type Boolean is (True, False);
>> defined in Standard
>> begin
>>    Text_Io.Put_Line ("Are you prefer Ada? " & Boolean'Image
>> (I_Prefer_Ada));
>> end Print_Enum_Values;
>
> Ok, here is a fill in the blank question. The question is modify the
> below code to print out
> the contents of variable My_enum.
>
> procedure test is
>   type chris_type is (apple, orange, tomatoe, pear, peaches, grapes);
>   My_enum:chris_type;
> begin
>
>    My_enum := grapes;
>
> end test;

You might want to study the code An Voh has provided.
It does what you want.
Also, and in addition, may I suggest you look at the IO
packages for enumerated types in case An Voh's solution
is not what you like.

@ 2008-11-21 18:52         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2008-11-21 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

ChristopherL schrieb:
>  So,
> what should I say. I would like to know how to print out My_enum in
> the above program. It's a basic simple question!

Yes, and the answer is also quite simple since
Boolean is an enumerated type.

The question sounded a bit like, "Please, could you do my
homework"? Or similar.  Hence, as per tradition, no free
beer solution, I'd guess. No offence intended.

@ 2008-11-21 21:10   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2008-11-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anh Vo wrote:

>    I_Prefer_Ada : Boolean := True;   -- type Boolean is (True, False);
> defined in Standard

No, Boolean is defined as

type Boolean is (False, True);

ARM 3.5.3.

--
Jeff Carter
"No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle,

* Re: Help, asking for code to print out an enumerated type
@ 2008-11-21 21:19     ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2008-11-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 21, 1:10 pm, "Jeffrey R. Carter"
<spam.jrcarter....@spam.acm.org> wrote:
> Anh Vo wrote:
>
> >    I_Prefer_Ada : Boolean := True;   -- type Boolean is (True, False);
> > defined in Standard
>
> No, Boolean is defined as
>
> type Boolean is (False, True);
>
> ARM 3.5.3.

Oops! you are right. However, for the purpose of printing out the
enumerated values, the order does invalidate the code though.

A. Vo

* Re: Help, asking for code to print out an enumerated type
@ 2008-11-21 21:26       ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2008-11-21 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 21, 1:19 pm, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 1:10 pm, "Jeffrey R. Carter"
>
> <spam.jrcarter....@spam.acm.org> wrote:
> > Anh Vo wrote:
>
> > >    I_Prefer_Ada : Boolean := True;   -- type Boolean is (True, False);
> > > defined in Standard
>
> > No, Boolean is defined as
>
> > type Boolean is (False, True);
>
> > ARM 3.5.3.
>
> Oops! you are right. However, for the purpose of printing out the
> enumerated values, the order does invalidate the code though.
>
> A. Vo

Oops again! I meant the order does not invalidate ...