From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: GtkAda License Question
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:23:05 +0200
Date: 2006-06-21T20:22:54+02:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:11:52 +0200, Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:

> M E Leypold a �crit :
>> So all current practice of distributing GPL software is flawed insofar
>> as the COPYYING and README files don't establish a binding agreement
>> between the receiver and the author of the software? So the receiver
>> has actually find the author (or copyright holder) to ascertain the
>> licensing terms and if he finds him, it might be that the copyright
>> holder decides that today there are different licensing terms for this
>> applicant?
>>
> COPYING and README are not *proofs*, that's what he meant. Anybody can
> take propriatory software and redistribute it with a COPYING file (or
> change the headers); this won't make the software free. What Robert said
> is that if you want legal assurance that the software is free, you need
> a signed letter from the author.

In my admittedly ignorant eyes, that looks like a different case. After
all, anyone can forge a signature on the letter. But the question is, let
Markus correct me, whether the COPYING _as distributed by the author_ is a
proof in the court. For example, may the author withdraw authentic COPYING.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov