* Re: Information On How To Use The Ada Score Compiler For Windows PC
       [not found] <1156000379.243866.114370@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-08-19 21:42 ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2006-08-19 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:
> But, what are your thoughts about this Ada compiler for the PC? Are
> there any good books and Internet sites covering this compiler? What do
> you recommend I do? What can I read? What are its problems, and how do
> you resolve them. How can I interact with the compiler? Can you give me
> a detailed example of how to use it.
>
> I apologize if I'm spelling the name of the compiler incorrectly!

As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as the "Ada Score
Compiler".  Google gets no hits for that phrase.

Do you mean the "Ada Core" compiler, more commonly known as GNAT?

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.

* Re: Information On How To Use The Ada Score Compiler For Windows PC
@ 2006-08-19 23:41   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2006-08-19 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith Thompson wrote:
> "Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:
> > But, what are your thoughts about this Ada compiler for the PC? Are
> > there any good books and Internet sites covering this compiler? What do
> > you recommend I do? What can I read? What are its problems, and how do
> > you resolve them. How can I interact with the compiler? Can you give me
> > a detailed example of how to use it.
> >
> > I apologize if I'm spelling the name of the compiler incorrectly!
>
> As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as the "Ada Score
> Compiler".  Google gets no hits for that phrase.
>
> Do you mean the "Ada Core" compiler, more commonly known as GNAT?

Check http://ddci.com/products_SCORE.php?t=80x86/Pentium

Never used it though, sorry.

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: Information On How To Use The Ada Score Compiler For Windows PC
@ 2006-08-23 21:05     ` REH
       [not found]       ` <1156431064.612240.119140@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>
From: REH @ 2006-08-23 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin wrote:

> Check http://ddci.com/products_SCORE.php?t=80x86/Pentium
>
> Never used it though, sorry.
>
> Cheers
> -- Martin

I have.  We recently did a trade study on Ada 95 compilers.  We found
Score to be very buggy.

REH

@ 2006-08-24 15:22         ` REH
       [not found]           ` <1156442004.713724.50750@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>
From: REH @ 2006-08-24 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:
> REH wrote:
> > Martin wrote:
> > >
> > > Check http://ddci.com/products_SCORE.php?t=80x86/Pentium
> > >
> > > Never used it though, sorry.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > -- Martin
> >
> > I have.  We recently did a trade study on Ada 95 compilers.  We found
> > Score to be very buggy.
>
> Is the data on Score useful, readable, and available?
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Lusardi

I don't have any info.  We dropped them early from our trade study
because we keep running into compiler crashes.  They'd fixed one, and
we'd hit another.  They were very responsive, though, and fix each one
very quickly.  We were just running out of time and still had four
other compilers to evaluate.

REH

@ 2006-08-24 19:19             ` REH
       [not found]               ` <1156451849.825224.89920@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>
From: REH @ 2006-08-24 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:
> REH wrote:
> >
> > I don't have any info.  We dropped them early from our trade study
> > because we keep running into compiler crashes.  They'd fixed one, and
> > we'd hit another.  They were very responsive, though, and fix each one
> > very quickly.  We were just running out of time and still had four
> > other compilers to evaluate.
>
> So, do you recommend the Score compiler for professional use and under
> what restrictions?
>
> Thank you,
> Christopher Lusardi

I don't feel I'm qualified to say one way or the other, and I do not
want to be the cause of them losing business.  I can only tell you of
my limited experience with it.

REH

@ 2006-08-24 20:47                 ` REH
       [not found]                   ` <1156526644.637845.116380@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
From: REH @ 2006-08-24 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:
> What other Ada compilers will work on Windows, and are any of them less
> buggy?
>
> Thank you,
> Christopher Lusardi

What do you mean by "work on Windows"?  As the target, host, or both?

REH

@ 2006-08-25 15:34             ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2006-08-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:

> REH wrote:
> >
> > I don't have any info.  We dropped them early from our trade study
> > because we keep running into compiler crashes.  They'd fixed one, and
> > we'd hit another.  They were very responsive, though, and fix each one
> > very quickly.  We were just running out of time and still had four
> > other compilers to evaluate.
>
> So, do you recommend the Score compiler for professional use and under
> what restrictions?
>
> Thank you,
> Christopher Lusardi

We have been using DDC-I's Ada compilers for many years (on 80x86 targets) and
have been very happy with them.
We have had few problems and the support has been outstanding.  We did
evaluate SCORE a couple of years ago
and found it to be a bit buggy and decided not to move to it at that time.  It
is a new GUI-based product and has been
going through some growing pains.  My understanding is that it has matured a
lot since we last looked at it and we will
probably look at it again for some future applications.  I would suggest you
get a copy for evaluation and check it out.

Jerry
-- NOTE: please perform appendectomy on email address before replying

@ 2006-08-25 17:42                     ` REH
From: REH @ 2006-08-25 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:
> REH wrote:
> > Chris L wrote:
> > > What other Ada compilers will work on Windows, and are any of them less
> > > buggy?
> >
> > What do you mean by "work on Windows"?  As the target, host, or both?
>
> The host computer would be a Windows box.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Lusardi

Green Hills has a pretty nice set of Windows tools, as does GNAT (Ada
Core).  I don't know if Rational is hosted on Windows, but their
compiler is incredible (though pricey).

REH

@ 2006-08-26  8:03                 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-08-26  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:

> What other Ada compilers will work on Windows, and are any of them less
> buggy?

Others have mentioned GH and AdaCore, there's also Aonix.

* Re: Information On How To Use The Ada Score Compiler For Windows PC
@ 2006-08-26 18:09 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2006-08-26 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Others have mentioned GH and AdaCore, there's also Aonix.
And RR Software.

* Re: Information On How To Use The Ada Score Compiler For Windows PC
@ 2006-08-29  8:57 ` Peter Amey
From: Peter Amey @ 2006-08-29  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>>Others have mentioned GH and AdaCore, there's also Aonix.
>
> And RR Software.

That's the trouble with Ada, there are just too many good compilers to
choose from :-)

Peter

* Re: Information On How To Use The Ada Score Compiler For Windows PC
@ 2006-08-29 17:37   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-08-29 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Amey wrote:

> tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>>>Others have mentioned GH and AdaCore, there's also Aonix.
>>
>> And RR Software.
>
> That's the trouble with Ada, there are just too many good compilers to
> choose from :-)

Better then having to choose between even more bad compilers ;-).

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net