From: "Frode Tennebø" <frode@tennebo.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT & Quantify
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:18:08 +0100
Date: 2003-12-05T23:18:08+01:00	[thread overview]

On Friday 05 December 2003 15:24 Stephen Leake wrote:

> Frode Tenneboe <ft@alne.edh.ericsson.se> writes:
>
>> I thought I should share with you how to I got Quantify to work with
>> GNAT.
>
> I gather Quantify provides path coverage and maybe timing info, and a
> GUI viewer?

Quantify provides timing information (profiling) foremost. The path
coverage info is more of a accumulated timing tree. For coverage, IBM
Rational has Purecov.

> How does it compare to gcov and gperf, already part of the
> Gnu tools, and thus supported by GNAT?

I never managed to get gprof (I asume that's what you mean) working with
GNAT 3.x series when it tasking was involved. Quantify does this.
Besides, the nice thing with Quantify is that you don't have to
recompile to profile (usefull if you suddenly get a few hours spare).

> I don't know of a GUI tool that displays the data from gcov and gperf,
> but I generally don't like GUI tools anyway :). Might be a good
> project for GtkAda :).

The GUI isn't important to me as such, but it is nice to be able to
scroll the source code where each line has a % or count of cycles next
to them. :)

http://kprof.sourceforge.net/ is an existing project, of course not in
GtkAda.

 -Frode
--
^ Frode Tenneb� | email: frode@tennebo.com | Frode@IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |