From: wes@wsccs.UUCP (Barnacle Wes)
Subject: Re: Need 64 bit integers on VAX
Date: 19 Feb 88 21:06:29 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <691@actnyc.UUCP>, djs@actnyc.UUCP (Dave Seward) writes:
> I agree with Mr. Wes, but add that VMS has RTL (run time library) callable
> routines giving access to the VAX 64 bit arithmetic instructions, so that
> one could write an Ada package providing this ability without having to
> actually code the arithmetic operations themselves.

Good tip, Dave; if I had known about the VAX 64-bit integer routines in the
RTL, I would have suggested the same thing.  My first Ada program had import
pragmas so I could use QIO's for direct terminal I/O.  It was really very
easy to do, I used the sources for the Ada RTL routine (which are written
in BLISS, of course :-) ) import pragmas as an example.

--
    /\              - " Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!