From: ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe)
Subject: Re: Grouping data from different modules together
Date: 10 Mar 93 07:43:53 GMT
Date: 1993-03-10T07:43:53+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1993Mar4.080713.19045@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>, hestermeyer@ida.ing.tu-bs.de (Andreas Hestermeyer) writes:
> But how should we tell the linker ?
    [ about grouping things ]
> If we don't do that in the language
> we again run into a situation where we would have to make changes in more
> than one file, if we change only one thing.
> And, looking at the way linkers presently get their instructions what to do :
> it's all in the language by using keywords like 'extern' (C,C++). Why shouldn't
> something like this be used here ?

Read the manual for the UNIX System V linker.  It will surprise you.
The on-line manual page says something like

	An input file [specified on the command line] that is not an
	object file is assumed to be an archive library (see ar(1))
	OR A TEXT FILE CONTAINING LINK EDITOR DIRECTIVES (see "The
	Link Editor" in the [System V] Programmer's Guide).

You can do amazing things with the System V linker.  And what's more,
you can do them with _all_ supported languages.  System dependent concepts
belong in system dependent tools.