From: btiffin@canada.com
Subject: Re: GNAT Programming Studio for OpenCOBOL development
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-06-05T15:52:11-07:00	[thread overview]

On Jun 5, 5:13 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Brian Tiffin wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>
> > I've been involved with the OpenCOBOL project for a little while now
> > and the developer community is looking for a good IDE.  I've done some
> > preliminary customizations as a plug-ins XML file; a compiler switches
> > screen, some keywords for the editor highlights, a menu for running
> > various compiles etc...
>
> > Who should I direct questions to?

> Their Subversion repository contains a public, read-only part[1]. You
> can submit patches to the above mailing list and watch as they merge
> them into the next version of GPS. I mirror this in Ada-France's
> monotone database[2,3] and I have added tags to identify the release
> branch points. If you're a fan of distributed version control systems,
> you might want to use that to create and manage your patches.
>
> [1]http://libre.adacore.com/viewvc/trunk/gps
> [2]http://green.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/com.adacore.gps
> [3]http://www.ada-france.org/article131.html
>
> > Ok, in reality I'd like to team up OpenCOBOL with the GNAT developers
> > and get these two wonderful open systems more tightly integrated.
> > OpenCOBOL is quite complete and fairly robust as-is but I'm thinking a
> > few more pushes and OpenCOBOL and GPS could be a good fit.  And if a
> > few COBOL programmers get exposed to Ada, or Ada programmers exposed
> > to COBOL, well, the more the better.
>
> I don't think Robert Dewar is listening here on comp.lang.ada but he
> might be interested; IIUC, before founding AdaCore, he used to write
> COBOL compilers.
>
> > As the keeper of the OpenCOBOL FAQ, pertinent information of what has
> > been done so far can be seen athttp://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/#can-the-gnat-programming-studio-be-...
> > andhttp://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/#can-opencobol-interface-with-ada
>
> > For the curious, OpenCOBOL emits intermediate C and links nicely with
> > GNAT when using gnatgcc and gnatbind -n
>
> > Excuse the interruption and thanks for GPS and GNAT.
>
> You're most welcome.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Awesome info.  I just signed up at libre.adacore.com, so the mailing
list will be next.  As a volunteer document writer (wannabee) I'm
pretty envious of the level of expertise, support, and professionalism
that the open Ada community enjoys.  Well done.  I'm hoping OpenCOBOL
and GNAT can see some useful and productive synergy.

Cheers,
Brian