* [newbie] library dependencies
@ 2004-03-27  9:00 Zouplaz
From: Zouplaz @ 2004-03-27  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi here, just another simple question : with gnat under win32 or linux is
it possible to compile an application that doesn't rely on any shared
libraries ? (statically linked I presume)

What I want is an app that could be copied directly from a system (same
platform of course) to another..

Thanks

* Re: [newbie] library dependencies
@ 2004-03-27  9:38 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-03-27  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zouplaz <pouet@pouet.com> writes:

> Hi here, just another simple question : with gnat under win32 or linux is
> it possible to compile an application that doesn't rely on any shared
> libraries ? (statically linked I presume)
>
> What I want is an app that could be copied directly from a system (same
> platform of course) to another..

On GNU/Linux, this is definitely possible.  Just pass -static to
gnatbind, e.g.

gnatmake my_app -bargs -static -largs /usr/lib/libmy_library.a

Usually, the static libraries /usr/lib/lib*.a contain debugging
symbols; you may want to strip them off like this:

strip my_app

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: [newbie] library dependencies
@ 2004-03-27 16:26 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-03-27 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zouplaz wrote:

> Hi here, just another simple question : with gnat under win32 or linux is
> it possible to compile an application that doesn't rely on any shared
> libraries ? (statically linked I presume)

> What I want is an app that could be copied directly from a system (same
> platform of course) to another..

If you are a newbe you might want to take a look at gps (http:/
libre.act-europe.fr/gps). The option dialog in gps will answer your
question.

With Regards

Martin

--