* Has anyone tried Minix3 + Ada?
@ 2012-06-10 15:11 Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-06-10 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to learn more about how operating systems work. I am playing with Minix3. I have GCC  4.4 installed now but there is no Ada support. I might try to compile 4.7 with Ada support but I am concerned it will be futile.

Assuming that I can cross compile GCC for Minix3, is there any reason Ada would not run on it?

Minix3 does not have kernel threads, the threading is in userland. I am wondering if tasking will work.

Minix is also billed as a high reliability, embedded OS but I can't find any examples of it being used for this. Does anyone know if this is a proper claim or a goal?

Thanks for reading-Patrick

* Re: Has anyone tried Minix3 + Ada?
@ 2012-06-11  6:45 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2012-06-11  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick wrote:

> I am trying to learn more about how operating systems work. I am
> playing with Minix3. I have GCC 4.4 installed now but there is no Ada
> support. I might try to compile 4.7 with Ada support but I am
> concerned it will be futile.

Why?  IIRC Minix3 has a reasonably complete POSIX API, so I wouldn't
worry much about getting the GNAT runtime to compile.

> Assuming that I can cross compile GCC for Minix3, is there any reason
> Ada would not run on it?

Lacks in the Minix3 POSIX API.  But according to what I've heard, it
should be complete enough.

> Minix3 does not have kernel threads, the threading is in userland. I
> am wondering if tasking will work.

I'm pretty sure it will.

> Minix is also billed as a high reliability, embedded OS but I can't
> find any examples of it being used for this. Does anyone know if this
> is a proper claim or a goal?

I think it is a matter of your POV.  It is designed to be
"self-repairing".  The design of Minix3 means that you are likely to
have more context switches than with a more monolithic OS.  This again
means that it requires more resources.  Which turns into higher energy
consumption, which usually isn't popular for embedded applications.  I
doubt that Minix3 is easy to use for real-time tasks, due to the
large(r) number of processes involved in most OS activities.

Greetings,

Jacob (who hasn't tried Minix3 yet)

* Re: Has anyone tried Minix3 + Ada?
@ 2012-06-11 13:06   ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2012-06-11 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Jacob

Yup. Minix3 looks heavy for embedded work, but it looks good for learning purposes. If the high reliability is true, it might be a nice pair with Ada in an embedded application that that is powered from the grid.

Have a great day-Patrick

* Re: Has anyone tried Minix3 + Ada?
@ 2012-06-13 10:52     ` quiet_lad
From: quiet_lad @ 2012-06-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 11, 6:06 am, Patrick <patr...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> Thanks Jacob
>
> Yup. Minix3 looks heavy for embedded work, but it looks good for learning purposes. If the high reliability is true, it might be a nice pair with Ada in an embedded application that that is powered from the grid.
>
> Have a great day-Patrick

minix 3 might not be as battle tested as free/net/open-bsd or
archlinux.
Minix 3 I like idea, but short hardware list is tuff, and in terms of
reliablility software raid and trunking of 2+ nics into 1 virtual nic
on unixes I mentioned seem to help with hardware failing.  I am not
sure about solaris, but smartos and illumian are available free as
well.