From: stluka@software.org (Fred Stluka)
Subject: Re: Use of "is separate" and compilatio
Date: 7 Dec 89 23:32:21 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <60@array.UUCP> len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) writes:
> If "proper name scoping" is used to avoid the potential pitfalls of
> subunits, how does the subunit differ substantially from a package?
> I think that the alternative to subunits in this case is not to place
> them in-line in the parent procedure or package, but to make them
> packages in their own right. Why do we need to use the "is separate"
> mechanism?

Subunits are similar to library units in being allowed to have "with"
clauses.

However, they are different in not being able to be "with"ed by other
units.  They are visible only to their parents.

Subunits are the only choice when you want to only a small portion of
a large package to have visibility into other library units without
allowing other units to have visibility into the small portion.

--Fred
--
Fred Stluka                          CSNET:   stluka@software.org
Software Productivity Consortium     ARPANET: stluka%software.org@RELAY.CS.NET