From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!csam.lbl.gov!agate!spool.mu.edu!uwm.edu!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohi
Subject: Re: Looking for a UNIX Ada Compiler...
Date: 9 Nov 91 02:22:19 GMT	[thread overview]

> In article <1991Nov7.171056.19248@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu> consp03@bingsun
s.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>>Interestingly, in order for a compiler to be called an "Ada" compiler,
>>it must be certified by the U.S. Government.  And it must be a
>>"complete" Ada.  So, expect to pay big bucks for a real Ada, or get a
>>free (or cheap) pretend-Ada compiler and hope for the best.
> Nope, not since 1988. The government dropped the trademark at that time.
> Anyone can do anything now and call it Ada. Validated (NOT "certified")
> compilers carry a 5-sided (pentagon-shaped) "seal of approval", and only
> validated compilers can be used for government work.
>
> If you're talking about university pricing, it's not in the "big bucks"
> category anymore. Even the most expensive systems don't go much over a
> few hundred per network node.

[etc.]

>>VAX/VMS Ada on our VMS system cost upwards of $100,000.  I knew you
>>wanted to hear this.
> It must be a while since you spoke to your DEC rep. Since you are at a
> university, you presumably come under their educational program, which
> - if I understand it right - gets you the compiler for the "media charge"
> only. True, the media charge could amount to a couple of K (I guess),
> but nowhere near 100. Not any more.
>>

> Mike Feldman
> co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

University pricing under DEC's educational program is a few hundred bucks (a
lot of money for an expanded LRM and two other manuals and a reel of tape), but
not the kind of pricing for commercial use.

For virtually any type of UNIX box, mainframe, PC, etc. there are "relatively"
inexpensive compilers for educational use that are exactly the same as what the
pros use.  In any case I suggest looking at the latest Ada IC Newsletter
(probably available at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu) and get the latest list with phone
numbers.  There really is no excuse why an education institution can't have an
inexpensive Ada compiler.... even if it means that a prof shells out $149 for
Meridian's OpenAda.

For the past several years compiler companies have (for the most part) realized
that having an inexpensive compiler for education pays off!!

GEORGE..

George C. Harrison, Professor of Computer Science
Norfolk State University, 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk VA 23504
Internet:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu    Phone:  804-683-8654