From: Jeffrey Carter <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: A nongeneric bounded string array type
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:04:45 GMT
Date: 2003-10-16T18:04:45+00:00	[thread overview]

Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:

> "Matthew Heaney" <matthewjheaney@earthlink.net> a �crit dans le
> message de news:uwub7dvnz.fsf@earthlink.net...
>
>> Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> writes:
>>
>>> It is also possible to write a direct replacement for
>>> Ada.Strings.Bounded that is not generic, but takes a discriminant
>>>  for the max length.
>>
>> There is a bounded string like that in the Charles library:
>>
>> charles.strings.bounded
>>
>> <http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles/>
>>
> Or use the Variable_String package, available from Adalog's
> components page: http://www.adalog.fr/compo2.htm

The Ada-83 PragmAda Reusable Components also had such a type, but with
the inclusion of bounded and unbounded strings in Ada in 1995, it was
dropped. It's generally better to have, and use, a standard form, even
if it's not exactly how you'd do it yourself, than to write something
that does the same thing.

--
Jeff Carter
"Perfidious English mouse-dropping hoarders."