From: Robert Eachus <rieachus@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Does object renaming allow the view to be a copy?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 08:06:40 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2017-01-24T08:06:40-08:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 3:40:10 PM UTC-5, Randy Brukardt wrote:

> IMHO, 'Address should only appear in a program that is interfacing to some
> memory-mapped entity; else use some form of 'Access (or 'Unchecked_Access).

Hmm.  My code has cases of:
      for X'Address use at mod 4;

I've also broken abstractions by using 'Address to obtain access to the details
of an otherwise private type--those are old, and can be updated to use child packages.

I also seem to recall that a lot of the NUMWG work uses address clauses when pulling floating point numbers apart--and putting them back together.

and I also have some mixed Fortran and Ada that uses at Foo'Address + 24 or the like to deal with Fortran common blocks that are really overlays. (For example, one declaration has the common block as an array, another converts it to a vector.)

Are all of these deprecated now?