From: ee163acp@sdcc13.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON)
Subject: re: wanted: vax/unix ada compiler information
Date: Wed, 13-Feb-85 13:23:53 EST	[thread overview]
Date: Wed Feb 13 13:23:53 1985

> Definitly Validated on Sun:  Telesoft
> Likely to Validate on Vax Soon: Telesoft, Verdix
> Likely to Validate on Sun Soon: Verdix

  At the last DECUS convention, VAX/ADA was announced and should be
  available shortly (I assume).  From the discussions, it appears to
  meet this year's (or 84?) validation requirements.  I don't recall if
  it was validated or is in the process.  It will be supported by the
  new VMS version 4.0 language sensitive editor and (screen !!)
  debugger.

> The Verdix Ada compiler is written in 'C'
> and the Telesoft Ada compiler is written in 'Pascal' (hence the speed
> difference).

  This definately seems to be your personal opinion of the difference
  between C and Pascal.  Except for Berkeley Pascal, I have found Pascal
  speed virtually identical to C.  Telesoft Ada is written in Telesoft
  Ada, and the reason it is slow is that Telesoft Ada uses pseudo-code.
  This allows for portability and is why Telesoft Ada is available on
  more machines than any other Ada.  It also means you can have a
  validated Ada on an IBM-pc (not a subset).

     Darin Johnson
     UCSD

  PS:  If any of you Telesoft people are reading this; HI JAY!!!