* AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 17:13 Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2005-09-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, all,

Did anyone have problems when compiling AWS under WinXP? Particularly,
the ver. 2.1. from recent GNAT GPL. It's all run smoothly under
Win2K/GNAT 3.15/AWS 2.0P, but with WinXP I'm constantly getting a
feeling that the system consciously bullshitting me (usually the error
messages are that the file not found, whereas I can see it sitting in
place).

Just want to know if there is publicly known issue or specific settings
before bugging the developers.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 17:45 ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2005-09-22 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I have tried to build GLADE for Windows XP/2002/SP2 with Cygwin, and have
basically given up for the moment (and Im considering Debian)
My experience has been that if the path for some commands, are too long or
contain too many directories (or I dont know what....)
the command does not succeed. I have tampered with the makefile so it
performs "cd [target directory]" and then perform the commands sitting in
the directory, this seems to work. Also I had problems with a script called
"missing" that does not have the "--run" options - Have you got this?

My suspicions have been to cygwin, have you upgraded cygwin lately?

Frank

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 18:02   ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2005-09-22 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also I had problems with a script called
"missing" that does not have the "--run" options - Have you got this?
No, I haven't. Looks like the system is diverse enough to give each
user his very own kind of hard time.

My suspicions have been to cygwin, have you upgraded cygwin lately?
Or, yeah, downloaded it just yesterday... but I didn't try to compile
in it yet. Gonna try.

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 18:09   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-09-22 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank,

> My suspicions have been to cygwin, have you upgraded cygwin lately?

No Cygwin is fine. I use it all the time on my Windows box to feel like
I have a computer :) Cygwin run ok and there is no problem AFAIK to
compile GLADE or AWS on Windows. Did you follow the instruction in the
INSTALL file, did you read the documentation ?

Anyway I think it is better to move this discussion to the AWS mailing
list and post the error messages you are getting.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 18:11     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-09-22 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anatoly Chernyshev

Anatoly,

> Also I had problems with a script called
> "missing" that does not have the "--run" options - Have you got this?

This is GLADE, the subject is AWS, I'm lost :) Are you having problems
with GLADE or AWS ?

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 18:14       ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2005-09-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank has problem with GLADE,
OP has problem with AWS
:-)

I just recognized the problem

Frank

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 19:42     ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2005-09-22 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

No Cygwin is fine. I use it all the time on my Windows box to feel like
I have a computer :) Cygwin run ok and there is no problem AFAIK to
compile GLADE or AWS on Windows. Did you follow the instruction in the
INSTALL file, did you read the documentation ?
Oh, yes, that's exactly what I did. And, as i said, it worked fine
before.

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 20:57       ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2005-09-22 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> All right, let me try Cygwin first. If it fails, then I'll dump my
> error mesages in the mailing list.
>

> All right, let me try Cygwin first. If it fails, then I'll dump my
> error mesages in the mailing list.

This is my first experience with Cygwin, I have downloaded 1.5.18-1 latest
version.

Do you still have the old Cygnus version? Could it be worth a try to
reinstall it and try ?
I have been trying to find an old version of cygwin to try but havent found
any so far.

I think the following is an interesting article
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/69310/match=eval+function+work
it gives me the impression that syntax has been changed... I leave it to
make/script experts to judge.

Frank

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 21:42 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2005-09-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anatoly Chernyshev wrote:

> Did anyone have problems when compiling AWS under WinXP? Particularly,
> the ver. 2.1. from recent GNAT GPL. It's all run smoothly under
> Win2K/GNAT 3.15/AWS 2.0P, but with WinXP I'm constantly getting a
> feeling that the system consciously bullshitting me (usually the error
> messages are that the file not found, whereas I can see it sitting in
> place).

I downloaded AWS 2.0 once and tried to install it on XP. The only
installation instructions seem to be for UNIX systems. One is instructed
to run "make", but I don't have that and it didn't come with AWS. There
is no indication that anything else is required, so I'm not going to 2nd
guess them and try to figure out what they might have intended.

When they get the instructions cleaned up I'll probably take another look.

--
Jeffrey Carter
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-22 23:02         ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2005-09-22 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you still have the old Cygnus version? Could it be worth a try to
> reinstall it and try ?
> I have been trying to find an old version of cygwin to try but havent found
> any so far.

Don't know if it's worth, but certainly not appealing. Yet, AWS always
was compiled from Windows command prompt without problems.

To  Jeffrey Carter:

I downloaded AWS 2.0 once and tried to install it on XP. The only
installation instructions seem to be for UNIX systems. One is
instructed
to run "make", but I don't have that and it didn't come with AWS. There
is no indication that anything else is required, so I'm not going to
2nd
guess them and try to figure out what they might have intended.

When they get the instructions cleaned up I'll probably take another
look.
Well, "make" used to come with GNAT. In GNAT GPL files it's called
gnumake-3.79.1-nt.exe.

The instructions are brief indeed, but it's been working, at least with
default options, with no additional features like Adaxml, posix etc.
Now it's not. Even the older AWS versions are not compiled under XP.

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-23  7:43           ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2005-09-23  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK,

Now I've got the same problem with GNATCOM. Looks like it's not the XP,
but GNAT GPL itself.

What I did is kinda weird thing: I installed GNAT 3.15 after GNAT GPL,
in separate directory, so that the make command comes from GNAT 3.15.
In this menagerie everything gets compiled, but AWS 2.1.

One can live with that though, but still it's a mess.

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-23 15:44   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-09-23 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have tried to build GLADE for Windows XP/2002/SP2 with Cygwin, and have
> basically given up for the moment (and Im considering Debian)
> My experience has been that if the path for some commands, are too long or
> contain too many directories (or I dont know what....)
> the command does not succeed. I have tampered with the makefile so it
> performs "cd [target directory]" and then perform the commands sitting in
> the directory, this seems to work. Also I had problems with a script
> called "missing" that does not have the "--run" options - Have you got
> this?

The commandline for cygwin is limited to 8192 characters - the one for Linux
32768. I first hit that restriction when compiling PolyORB for Windows.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-23 18:15   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-09-23 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Carter

Jeffrey,

> When they get the instructions cleaned up I'll probably take another look.

Or post a note on the AWS mailing-list to get help. Many people there
have been able to build AWS on Windows. It is indeed require to have a
toolset installed (Cywgin or MSYS) to build AWS. Sorry about that but
there is nothing on windows to manage correctly a proper build.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-24  1:13     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2005-09-24  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> Or post a note on the AWS mailing-list to get help. Many people there
> have been able to build AWS on Windows. It is indeed require to have a
> toolset installed (Cywgin or MSYS) to build AWS. Sorry about that but
> there is nothing on windows to manage correctly a proper build.

The problem is there is no indication that anything else is required.

--
Jeff Carter
"I've got to stay here, but there's no reason

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-24 17:40     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2005-09-24 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> The commandline for cygwin is limited to 8192 characters - the one
> for Linux 32768. I first hit that restriction when compiling PolyORB
> for Windows.

That is interesting, we had a problem with Cygwin and a command line
(for f in *) where the line got > 32xxx characters! Fine up until
then.

* Re: AWS 2.1 and WinXP
@ 2005-09-25  8:31       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-09-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright wrote:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> The commandline for cygwin is limited to 8192 characters - the one
>> for Linux 32768. I first hit that restriction when compiling PolyORB
>> for Windows.
>
> That is interesting, we had a problem with Cygwin and a command line
> (for f in *) where the line got > 32xxx characters! Fine up until
> then.

Maybe the cygwin extended it since I last checked. Most ./configure have a
check for the max commandline length - just look at the output.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net