From: baur@spp2.UUCP (Steven L. Baur)
Subject: Re: How widespread is Ada now?
Date: 23 Sep 88 09:04:36 GMT	[thread overview]

in article <1378@sun.soe>, dave@sun.soe (Dave Goldblatt) says:

(Reason why nasa does not always require ada)

> Reason: Most Ada compilers simply produce
> code which is too big and/or too slow.  Example: On 3 different Unix
> compilers, a "Hello, world" program produced code ranging in size of
> 89.9K to 107K.

That is a very fair statement.  And, Ada code can run an order of magnitude
slower than equivalent "C" code.  (No flames, ask for the benchmark sources
and results).

(From Steven Wampler of Arizona:)
>> 3. There is, right now, a 600,000 Ada programmer shortage.
>>    (I think this is the one that is I find most surprising.)
>
> I don't know if it's THAT large, but in my experience, there is most
> certainly a shortage.

If you want a job, apply at TRW with Ada experience on your resume.

> As an interesting note: a relative of mine went to a seminar given by one
> of the members of the Ada design committee.  He opened with this:
> "Ada was designed to be used for embedded systems software.  Of course,
> you _can't_ use it for that, but..." :-)

My favorite is from a lecture from Dr. Ben Brosgol, Vice President of
Alsys who said "Ada doesn't support distributed applications very well".
Can you pronounce C3I?

steve