From: bbadger@x102c.uucp (Badger BA 64810)
Subject: Re: enumeration literal/internal codes query
Date: 16 Jan 89 18:03:51 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1074@shuksan.UUCP> scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) writes:
>I too have run into all of the same problems that you have mentioned. The 'pos
>doesn't work which leaves the Unchecked Conversion method. I would also
>think that the language should provide some better (cleaner) method
>of retrieving that value; especially since the language provides a
>clean method of describing those values (using rep specs).

I've been wondering why you *want* to access the ``internal'' representation.
The standard use for representation clauses on enumeration types is to ``hide''
a specific encoding so that you *don't* have to deal with the ``ugly'' numeric
representation directly.

The only thing I've thought of is to use it as an ``external representation''
to be written to a file.  Normally, of course, you would just instantiate
SEQUENTIAL_IO on the enumeration type, or on a record type with a component
of the enumeration type.  But in that case, you don't really ``see'' the
representation in the program, it only appears in the file.

So, please give an example of how accessing the representation would be useful.

Bernard A. Badger Jr.	407/984-6385   | ``Use the Source, Luke!''
Secure UNIX Products                   | That's not a bug! It's a feature!
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902      | Buddy, can you paradigm?
Internet: bbadger@x102c.harris-atd.com | 's/./&&/' Tom sed [sic] expansively.