* Re: Default directory in Ada 2005
       [not found] <13gbgp41ajc4071@corp.supernews.com>
@ 2007-10-05 15:51 ` Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2007-10-05 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 4, 9:52 pm, "ME" <abcd...@nonodock.net> wrote:
> If the default directory is set then can I just omit the path in "Open" so that it will use it or is something else meant by default?

If you mean that you've used Directories.Set_Directory to set the
default directory, then yes, I think the default directory is supposed
to be used for any external file names that aren't fully specified (A.
16(48)).

                           -- Adam

* Re: Default directory in Ada 2005
@ 2007-10-06  5:14   ` ME
From: ME @ 2007-10-06  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

This does not appear to work. Since open was Ada 95 was it rewritten to use
default directory ?

@ 2007-10-07  2:48     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2007-10-07  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

All common target systems for Ada have the concept of a default directory,
and that is built into the target system, so it would take a lot of work for
any Ada compiler (of ANY vintage, including Ada 83) to ignore the default
directory in file opens. The only new thing is that Ada has acknowledged the
existence of this common concept.

Surely, any failure to properly handle Open is a bug in a particular
implementation, not of the language. (Nothing has changed in the definition
of Open; the meaning of the default directory is target-specific and
implementation-defined in any case.) You need to contact the vendor of your
implementation, or at least tell us exactly what implementation you are
referring to, in order to get any useful help.

                              Randy.

@ 2007-10-08 23:03       ` ME
From: ME @ 2007-10-08 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Randy,

I am using Gnat 4.02 (20061211)

A) I set the default directory using Set_directory which works.
B) I read the files into an array of strings using "search" . The strings
are padded with blanks.
C) I try an "open" using just the filename with no path and I get a
Name_error

@ 2007-10-09  1:18         ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2007-10-09  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks Randy,
>
> I am using Gnat 4.02 (20061211)
>
> A) I set the default directory using Set_directory which works.
> B) I read the files into an array of strings using "search" . The strings
> are padded with blanks.
> C) I try an "open" using just the filename with no path and I get a
> Name_error

Possibly the padding blanks are significant? They certainly would be on
Windows: "ME" and "ME  " are different files; that might cause your
Name_Error.

                                     Randy.

* Re: Default directory in Ada 2005
@ 2007-10-09  5:27           ` ME
From: ME @ 2007-10-09  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

You're absolutely right I can't have the extra spaces. I never tried naming
a file in windows with spaces at the end.