* learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-09 10:11 johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2014-04-09 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

for someone with only unix scirpting background?

* Re: learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-09 17:02 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2014-04-09 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/09/2014 03:11 AM, johannes falcone wrote:
> for someone with only unix scirpting background?

You might start by looking at the resources available from the AdaIC:

http://www.adaic.org/learn/

--
Jeff Carter
"Mr. President, we must not allow a mine-shaft gap!"

* Re: learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-09 17:46 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2014-04-09 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 09 avril 2014 à 03:11 -0700, johannes falcone a écrit :
> for someone with only unix scirpting background?

For AWS you may want to start by reading this:

http://www.adacore.com/adaanswers/gems/gem-29/

Then the user's manual and demos.

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-09 19:36   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2014-04-09 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter writes on comp.lang.ada:
> johannes falcone wrote:
>> for someone with only unix scirpting background?
>
> You might start by looking at the resources available from the AdaIC:
>
> http://www.adaic.org/learn/

Of those, I still like and recommend:

John English - Ada 95: the Craft of Object-Oriented Programming

which is excellent for beginners.

The synctactic sugar that Ada 2012 brings to loops is explained in the
Ada 2012 Rationale, also on the same, most excellent web site :)

There is however a second part which is learning the toolchain (editor,
compiler, debugger).  If you're used to scripting on Unix then you must
already know the One True Editor, so you need only learn how to compile,
run an debug Ada programs.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-09 22:23     ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-04-09 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/04/2014 20:36, in article 871tx65m8o.fsf@ludovic-brenta.org, "Ludovic
Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

> There is however a second part which is learning the toolchain (editor,
> compiler, debugger).  If you're used to scripting on Unix then you must
> already know the One True Editor ...

ed?

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-10  2:54       ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2014-04-10  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09-Apr-14 16:23, Bill Findlay wrote:
> On 09/04/2014 20:36, in article 871tx65m8o.fsf@ludovic-brenta.org, "Ludovic
> Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>
>> There is however a second part which is learning the toolchain (editor,
>> compiler, debugger).  If you're used to scripting on Unix then you must
>> already know the One True Editor ...
>
> ed?

Edlin!
Vi!

(^Heavy sarcasm.)

* Re: learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-10  8:40       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2014-04-10  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> There is however a second part which is learning the toolchain
>> (editor, compiler, debugger).  If you're used to scripting on Unix
>> then you must already know the One True Editor ...
>
> ed?

No, that's only The Standard Text Editor:
https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg

:)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: learning ada and aws, what is the best way?
@ 2014-04-10 21:44         ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-04-10 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/04/2014 09:40, in article 87ioqh4lxc.fsf@ludovic-brenta.org, "Ludovic
Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

> Bill Findlay writes on comp.lang.ada:
>> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>>
>>> There is however a second part which is learning the toolchain
>>> (editor, compiler, debugger).  If you're used to scripting on Unix
>>> then you must already know the One True Editor ...
>>
>> ed?
>
> No, that's only The Standard Text Editor:
> https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg
>
> :)

But surely we all support standards here in c.l.a.?

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;