* Ada Primer...
@ 1989-06-02 16:40 Thomas Hoyt
From: Thomas Hoyt @ 1989-06-02 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Issue #143, Charles Fineman writes...
>Subject: Ada Primer

>... Both of
>us feel The Haberman & Perry book (Ada for experienced programmers) is
>a WASTE of money. It's defficient in so may areas, I won't even go into
>it.

   After having just suffered through an advanced ada class with this
book, I (and the rest of my classmates) can only agree.  Its treatment of
advanced features was patchy at best, obtuse at worst.  Some chapters were
strictly burn-before-reading stuff...

>I have looked through Programming in Ada by J.G.P. Barnes. It looks
>pretty good.

   ...but a bit much as a primer, I think, but a good reference.  Has anyone
seen a really good, concise, clear, introductory programming book for Ada?

   Oh well, back to the LRM....

******
thoyt@ddn-wms.arpa      |  "Oh no...it's written in COBOL..."
Thomas Hoyt             |  "Government Computers for Government business..."
CRC Systems, Inc., Fairfax, VA -- 703-359-9400       |  "NO FUN ALLOWED..."
******

* Ada Primer
@ 1989-06-05 19:10 Mark Oestmann
From: Mark Oestmann @ 1989-06-05 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Info-Ada Digest Volume 89, Issue 146, Darrell Schiebel writes:

> Can anyone recomend a GOOD book to serve as a Primer
> for Ada?
>
> Darrell Schiebel   -   drs@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
> Concurrent Engineering Research Center
> West Virginia University

I would recommend "Introductory Ada - Packages for Programming" by
Putnam P. Texel.  The book is an incomplete coverage of Ada, but it
does an excellent job of getting a novice in a proper Ada mind-set.
A second book by Texel covering the remainder of Ada has not yet
been published.

I would recommend "Ada as a second language" by Norman H. Cohen as a
reference text or a second book in addition to Texel's book.  Lots of
great examples in this text.

				Mark Oestmann
				School of Engineering and Logistics
				Red River Army Depot