* GNAT binary packages for Solaris
@ 2011-12-07  8:53 Maciej Bliziński
From: Maciej Bliziński @ 2011-12-07  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group.  I'm a package maintainer at OpenCSW, and I've
been working on gcc-4.6.x packages for the last few months. I've
finally built all language frontends of gcc-4.6, including Ada.  The
outcome is a set of Solaris 9 and 10 packages for sparc and Intel
architectures.  I'm looking for people that would test the packages.
I've been able to compile and run a "hello, world" program written in
Ada, and that worked.  I'd be interested in learning whether these
packages work well for bigger programs.

The packages are available from the experimental catalog:

http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/experimental.html#gcc-4.6

These are packages build specifically for Solaris 9 and 10, but they
should work on OpenSolaris and Solaris 11 as well.

Maciej

* Re: GNAT binary packages for Solaris
@ 2011-12-07 11:20 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-12-07 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Bliziński wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> I'm new to the group.  I'm a package maintainer at OpenCSW, and I've
> been working on gcc-4.6.x packages for the last few months. I've
> finally built all language frontends of gcc-4.6, including Ada. [...]
> I've been able to compile and run a "hello, world" program written in
> Ada, and that worked.  I'd be interested in learning whether these
> packages work well for bigger programs.

There is a wealth of free Ada software available.  Here[1] is a
glorified
"Hello, World" that exercizes streams and exception handling; just
"gnatmake test; ./test" to see it in action.  And here[2] is another
simple program that additionally uses gettext and calls system(2).

[1] http://green.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/org.ludovic-brenta.s_expressions
[2] http://green.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/org.music123
(for both, go to "Head Revision" then "Download (tar)")

The third example exercizes tasking and generics.  To compile and run
it, copy and paste all of the code into a single file then:
"gnatchop $file; gnatmake diners; ./diners".

[3] http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/docs/95style/html/sec_11/11-1.html

If those work, I think the next thing to test will be the GNAT project
manager (i.e. gpr files).  The next step will be to build an entire
Ada
development platform consisting of dozens of libraries, IDE, etc.
Are you that ambitious?

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The gatekeeper 200% embraces non-standard internal clients.

* Re: GNAT binary packages for Solaris
@ 2011-12-09 15:17   ` Maciej Bliziński
From: Maciej Bliziński @ 2011-12-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the time being, I care about the GNAT packages being operational, so that if someone tries to use them, they'll work.  As far as building the full ADA development platform, I'd be happy to work on it if there's interest.

OpenCSW is primarily a packaging effort, so any time someone files a request[1], we look into it and create the package, if at all possible. We haven't had any requests for Ada libraries so far.  There's a couple of possibilities why that might be the case:

1. there are no people who work with Ada on Solaris
2. people who work with Ada on Solaris don't use OpenCSW packages
3. people who work with Ada on Solaris do use OpenCSW packages, but are shy

I'd like to find out, which of these is most likely to be true. If 3 is true (certainly my favorite), OpenCSW would take feedback from users and improve the packages. If 1 is true, then we could drop gnat packages altogether. If 2 is true, I'd like to find out how/where do they get the binaries, and if there's a chance OpenCSW could provide better packages.

Maciej

[1] http://www.opencsw.org/requestPackage/