From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Crosstalk Article from Aonix
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:05:04 +0100
Date: 2006-02-11T08:05:04+01:00	[thread overview]

Mike Silva wrote:

> adaworks@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>> In a recent article about safety-critical software, the author,
>> an employee of Aonix, manages to avoid even one mention
>> of  Ada.  He seems to be unaware that, in the safety-critical
>> domain, Ada is still a much better option than Java.  In this
>> kind of article one would expect at least a token nod
>> in the direction of Ada from an Aonix author . C and C++
>> are mentioned often. This is a rather glaring considering that
>> Aonix was once an important player in the world of Ada.
>
> I do wonder about all this real time and safety critical Java stuff.
> Will it end up being a case of neither fish (not the Java everybody
> knows) nor fowl (not a world-class language for RT and safety critical
> work)?  I also wonder if the Java programming culture will produce good
> RT and SC programmers.  And isn't that the idea, that there are all
> those Java programmers out there to recruit?

You mean like those retrained gardeners and butchers the various departments
if employment in the western world are creating every year? Yes, sure,
after there 'intensive' 6 month Java course and a 'harsh' test by the
chamber of comers they are perfectly equipped for RT and safety critical
work.

> I just have this vision of somebody in the 60s creating a real-time,
> safety-critical version of COBOL to take advantage of all that COBOL
> talent.

This is not the first time that silly idea is comming about? When do they
ever learn?

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net