From: encore!jcallen@husc6.harvard.edu  (Jerry Callen)
Subject: Implicit garbage collection in Ada systems
Date: 8 Jan 91 16:15:10 GMT	[thread overview]

>[Sam Harbaugh and Robert Firth furnish tantalizing information
> on a heap manager suitable for long-running systems. Robert Firth
> writes:]
>
>For a program to use it, certain minor conditions have to be met, but
>the bottom line is that it allows a transaction-processing system to
>run forever (ie without storage fragmentation or other entropic
>degradation), and to do so with bounded performance and with bounded
>storage requirements.

Well, let's not be so coy, fellas! :-) It sounds as if a patent
application or other obstacle is preventing you from saying more,
but The Perfect Heap Manager is kind of a holy grail, and _I_ would
love to know more.

In particular, just WHAT restrictions have to be placed on the
application? Hey, I can prevent fragmentation, too, if all the
allocated objects are the same size. :-)

-- Jerry "you've piqued my curiousity" Callen
   jcallen@encore.com