From: mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack)
Subject: Re: Compiling Ada into C
Date: 18 Feb 88 22:57:51 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <49@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <2460@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU>, neff@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Randy Neff) writes:
>> Why do people want to compile Ada into C?
>
>Your nine observations that follow this question are correct.  They
>are also obvious.  If you were writing an Ada compiler that compiled
>to assembly code, or directly to object code, you would also have to
>take all of this into account.  The simple fact is C is much more
>portable than any assembler.  If you write an Ada compiler that
>compiles to Rolm 1666 assembler, the compiler can only generate code
>for the 1666 and similar processors.  If you write it to produces C,
>you can run it on many processors, you just have to port the
>executable (probably written in C itself) to the target machine.

I have been trying (now and then) to write an Ada-to-C translator
for the last couple of years, for the reasons you mention.

This is, shall we say, somewhat nontrivial. Has anyone done
this successfully?

>    /\              - " Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
>   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!
>  /    \/ \/\/  \   -   Contend in Vain."   -  uplherc!sp7040!
> / U i n T e c h \  -        Isaac Asimov   -     obie!wes
BTW, Asimov was quoting Schiller.
--
  		Dave Mack	Master of BizZen
  McDonnell Douglas-Inco, Inc. 		DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed