From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Investigating Ada
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:54:39 +0200
Date: 2005-10-05T08:54:39+02:00	[thread overview]

Phoebe wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have been looking into Ada as a new language to pick up. I tend to use C
> for most projects, but I enjoy learning new things. I'm already sold on
> the value of the language itself from a technical point of view, but my
> concern is that it might have a rather small userbase, especially without
> the Ada Mandate. I am having trouble finding recent FAQs or usage
> information. It's easy to come across something from like 1994, but that's
> over ten years ago ;)

Ahh yes, the old pages have a better google rating - no one knows why. Here
some pages with newer dates:

September 29, 2005, at 08:12 AM:
http://ada.krischik.com/

15:05, 1 October 2005 203.197.76.86:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming

Tuesday October 4th, 2005
http://www.adaworld.com/

> I'm going to learn it anyway, but I'm just hoping that people could
> comment on its popularity, and also how it has kept up against the other
> languages which surely must have incorporated a lot of its advantages by
> now. Thanks

Now that PC become more powerfull and therefore can better handle feature
rich languages Ada has a little revival.

Mind you: when saying feature rich one take into account the C ISO standart
is only a few pages shorter then the Ada ISO standart and C++ has a wooping
200 pages more. The former slim languages have caught up (but they have put
on a lot of "backward compatibility fat" instead of "feature muskels").

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net