From: vladimir@prosper (Vladimir G. Ivanovic)
Subject: Re: Export of Ada compilers
Date: 9 May 90 02:49:34 GMT	[thread overview]

Well, the United States has these stupid laws which govern trademarks
and such.  If I import a Nikon camera into the US, I have to file off
the Nikon name.  Nikon USA owns the trademark Nikon and will not allow
importation of Nikon cameras into the US except under their auspices.

I find it hard to imagine how to file off the trademarked names in
software.  Note that it's not illegal to import cameras into the US.

The upshot is that it is (unfortunately) possible for it to be illegal
to import, even for private use, a product that is sold quite legally.

Consumers suffer; industrialists artificially keep the prices high.

-- In the name of free trade, Vladimir