* Where to start?
@ 2004-01-07 13:11 Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj @ 2004-01-07 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm a total newbie to ada (but I know other languages like C++ quite well).
Where should I start and where I can:

1) download compiler (for WinXP, and other for Linux)
2) download IDE (if needed separetly)
3) download online documentation and tutorails

Btw, I heard something about that ADA is used to write computer graphics
shaders? or that language used to write them is simmilar to Ada?
If true, then where can I download tools/tutorials for playing with
shaders?

TIA

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~l-.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GG-1175498                   ____| ]____,

* Re: Where to start?
@ 2004-01-07 13:32 ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2004-01-07 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spam@raf256.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I'm a total newbie to ada (but I know other languages like C++ quite
well).
> Where should I start and where I can:
>
> 1) download compiler (for WinXP, and other for Linux)

Ada is now included in the Cygwin compiler. See http://www.cygwin.com ,
where you can get a version of gcc that compiles C, C++, Fortran, and Ada.

> 2) download IDE (if needed separetly)

It's not needed, but there is a nice IDE from GNAT called GPS. See
http://www.act-europe.com.

Many can be found at http://www.adaic.com.

> Btw, I heard something about that ADA is used to write computer graphics
> shaders? or that language used to write them is simmilar to Ada?
> If true, then where can I download tools/tutorials for playing with
> shaders?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~l-.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> GG-1175498                   ____| ]____,
> Rafal 'Raf256' Maj        X-(     *      )
> Rafal(at)Raf256(dot)com     ,"----------"

* Re: Where to start?
@ 2004-01-07 15:49   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2004-01-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I Rafal,

Frank answered your top most questions, I'll answer the graphic shader part
:-).

Go to my website (http://www.adaworld.com) and go the to "Ada Projects"  by
clicking the projects section button on the left.

You have 2 choices....

In The "Binding Projects" you'll find AdaOpenGL which is exactly what the
name inplies :-).

In the "Library Projects" You'll see Engine_3D which is a Pure Ada 3D Engine
that doesn't rely on anything else but Ada source code...

The choice is yours :-)

Hope that helps

--
St�phane Richard
"Ada World" Webmaster

"Frank J. Lhota" <NOSPAM.lhota.adarose@verizon.net> wrote in message
> "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spam@raf256.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm a total newbie to ada (but I know other languages like C++ quite
> well).
> > Where should I start and where I can:
> >
> > 1) download compiler (for WinXP, and other for Linux)
>
> Ada is now included in the Cygwin compiler. See http://www.cygwin.com ,
> where you can get a version of gcc that compiles C, C++, Fortran, and Ada.
>
> > 2) download IDE (if needed separetly)
>
> It's not needed, but there is a nice IDE from GNAT called GPS. See
> http://www.act-europe.com.
>
> > 3) download online documentation and tutorails
>
> Many can be found at http://www.adaic.com.
>

> > Btw, I heard something about that ADA is used to write computer graphics
> > shaders? or that language used to write them is simmilar to Ada?
> > If true, then where can I download tools/tutorials for playing with
> > shaders?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~l-.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > GG-1175498                   ____| ]____,
> > Rafal 'Raf256' Maj        X-(     *      )
> > Rafal(at)Raf256(dot)com     ,"----------"

* Re: Where to start?
@ 2004-01-07 17:29 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2004-01-07 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a total newbie to ada (but I know other languages like C++ quite well).
> Where should I start and where I can:
>
> 1) download compiler (for WinXP, and other for Linux)
> 2) download IDE (if needed separetly)
> 3) download online documentation and tutorails
>
> Btw, I heard something about that ADA is used to write computer graphics
> shaders? or that language used to write them is simmilar to Ada?
> If true, then where can I download tools/tutorials for playing with
> shaders?
>
> TIA

Ada Resources for Windows:

Get the latest version of the GNAT compiler for Windows here:
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.15p/winnt/
Be sure to get both gnat-3.15p-nt.exe and gnatwin-3.15p.exe and install them
both.

There is a good GUI for GNAT here:
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

or a more complex GUI here:
http://libre.act-europe.fr/gps/

For a good, simple Windows GUI toolset, get JEWL:
http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/jewl/

There are good descriptions of the JEWL packages and a tutorial at the
documentation link.

For an even better Windows interface look at CLAW from RR Software:
http://www.rrsoftware.com/

for links to good Ada stuff see:

http://www.adapower.com/ or http://www.adapower.org/
http://www.adaworld.com/
http://www.adaic.org/
http://www.adahome.com/

Good Luck and welcome to Ada!

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

* Re: Where to start?
@ 2004-01-08 16:04   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-01-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank J. Lhota wrote:

> "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spam@raf256.com> wrote in message

>> 1) download compiler (for WinXP, and other for Linux)

> Ada is now included in the Cygwin compiler. See http://www.cygwin.com ,
> where you can get a version of gcc that compiles C, C++, Fortran, and Ada.

True, but it is the mega buggy Version 3.3.1. Beginners should allways get
3.15 not to be disapointed by compiler buggs.

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Where to start?
@ 2004-01-11 15:58     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-01-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Frank J. Lhota wrote:
>
> > "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spam@raf256.com> wrote in message
>
> >> 1) download compiler (for WinXP, and other for Linux)
>
> > Ada is now included in the Cygwin compiler. See http://www.cygwin.com ,
> > where you can get a version of gcc that compiles C, C++, Fortran, and Ada.
>
> True, but it is the mega buggy Version 3.3.1. Beginners should allways get
> 3.15 not to be disapointed by compiler buggs.

And furthermore, Cygwin 3.3.1 GNAT based compiler, does not have support
for tasking.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Where to start?
@ 2004-01-11 16:56       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-01-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> Frank J. Lhota wrote:
>>
>> > "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spam@raf256.com> wrote in message

>> > Ada is now included in the Cygwin compiler. See http://www.cygwin.com ,
>> > where you can get a version of gcc that compiles C, C++, Fortran, and
>> > Ada.
>>
>> True, but it is the mega buggy Version 3.3.1. Beginners should allways
>> get 3.15 not to be disapointed by compiler buggs.
>
> And furthermore, Cygwin 3.3.1 GNAT based compiler, does not have support
> for tasking.

Never got that far, but that's bad. I feel this compiler could do some
damage. Imagine: someone installs cygwin, sees all those compilers, thinks
"Hey whats this Ada thing"  and then finds all the 3.3.1 bugs and no
taskting...

With Regards

Martin