* Ada graphic tools' summary
@ 2003-11-12 15:17 Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2003-11-12 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

is there somewhere an Ada graphic tools' summary with abstracts
and/or evaluations?
Which tools|libraries should I recommend to somebody who asks for
doing graphics with Ada?
I would like to beef up my
www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/resources_on_ada.html
, too, with any of your inputs.

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: Ada graphic tools' summary
@ 2003-11-12 17:37 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-11-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Which tools|libraries should I recommend to somebody who asks for
>doing graphics with Ada?
   I always have to wonder what people mean when they ask about
"doing graphics".  Do they mean a graphic UI in the sense of Windows
or Macintosh, in which case a "graphic library" is a binding to
the Windows or Mac OS?  Do they mean Pixar type photo-realistic
rendering of complex scenes?  Or perhaps real-time dynamic displays
as for a video game or visualization of a physical process?  Or
maybe they just want a hardware-independent set of routines to
draw straight lines and ellipses?

* Re: Ada graphic tools' summary
@ 2003-11-13 12:51   ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2003-11-13 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Work is in progress (-:
Thanks to tmoran@acm.org who wrote a useful categorization:
   I always have to wonder what people mean when they ask about
"doing graphics".  Do they mean

o a graphic UI in the sense of Windows or Macintosh,
  in which case a "graphic library" is a binding to
  the Windows or Mac OS?

o Pixar type photo-realistic rendering of complex scenes?

o real-time dynamic displays as for a video game or
  visualization of a physical process?

o a hardware-independent set of routines to draw
  straight lines and ellipses?
For these, I am expecting further input from all of you
in order to amend
http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/resources_on_ada.html

--

@ 2003-11-13 14:48     ` Michael Paus
From: Michael Paus @ 2003-11-13 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann wrote:

> Work is in progress (-:
> Thanks to tmoran@acm.org who wrote a useful categorization:
>    I always have to wonder what people mean when they ask about
> "doing graphics".  Do they mean
>
> o a graphic UI in the sense of Windows or Macintosh,
>   in which case a "graphic library" is a binding to
>   the Windows or Mac OS?
>
> o Pixar type photo-realistic rendering of complex scenes?
>
> o real-time dynamic displays as for a video game or
>   visualization of a physical process?
>
> o a hardware-independent set of routines to draw
>   straight lines and ellipses?

A further category would be image processing as is done by tools
like, e.g. photoshop or gimp.

@ 2003-11-13 19:28     ` Chad R. Meiners
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 2003-11-13 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Hermann" <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message
> Work is in progress (-:
> Thanks to tmoran@acm.org who wrote a useful categorization:
>    I always have to wonder what people mean when they ask about
> "doing graphics".  Do they mean
>
> o a graphic UI in the sense of Windows or Macintosh,
>   in which case a "graphic library" is a binding to
>   the Windows or Mac OS?
>
> o Pixar type photo-realistic rendering of complex scenes?
>
> o real-time dynamic displays as for a video game or
>   visualization of a physical process?

ada thin binding for SDL http://sourceforge.net/projects/adasdl/
There is a thick binding in the CVS tree, also

@ 2003-11-13 23:57     ` James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 2003-11-13 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> o a graphic UI in the sense of Windows or Macintosh,
>   in which case a "graphic library" is a binding to
>   the Windows or Mac OS?

For Mac OS X, there are carbon bindings at http://MacAda.org as well as
examples for using them.

> o Pixar type photo-realistic rendering of complex scenes?

Ada Open Gl works great on mac.

http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/

> o real-time dynamic displays as for a video game or
>   visualization of a physical process?

the SDL that someone already pointed out works on mac os x as well.

> o a hardware-independent set of routines to draw
>   straight lines and ellipses?

http://adaopengl.sourceforge.net/

>A further category would be image processing as is done by tools
>like, e.g. photoshop or gimp.

i have been working on an ada binding to the c++ class library at
www.ossim.org which does image processing and geographic stuff.  for
instance i wrote a nice little mac drag and drop app that tanslates
files like dted, dem, uncompressed nitf, etc to jpeg, raw, and tiff.

have done a number of other nice apps to do things like cropping to
geographic rectangles, resample to different degrees per pixel, etc.

we hope to put these up on the ossim website soon.

jim