From: bs@augusta.UUCP (Burch Seymour)
Subject: Re: converted types as actual in out parameters
Date: 23 Sep 88 15:41:55 GMT	[thread overview]

in article <8809151803.AA17461@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu>, GDAU100@BGUVM.BITNET ("Jonathan B. Owen") says:

> The following worked for Vax-Ada but not for Verdix Ada.  Any thoughts?
> Is it a quirk of Vax-Ada to allow the following or a bug of Verdix
> which causes the return of erronious values?
   (text of test omitted)

I ran this on the Gould compiler (Telesoft - Telegen 2) and it got the
"Vax" result. I check the generated code and this is what happened:

  1) The short integer is moved onto the stack - no check needed as
     a small is converted to a large.
  2) The procedure is called. The result is on the stack at return
     as type integer.
  3) The result is checked for range as a large is being converted to
     a smaller type.
  4) The result is put away.

I'm not a language lawyer, but this seems to be the way to do this.
I'd guess the Verdix has a bug.

-Burch Seymour - Gould CSD