From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Chicken or the egg. New targets & runtimes
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:28:58 +0200
Date: 2012-05-15T16:28:58+02:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 15 May 2012 07:05:38 -0700 (PDT), Patrick wrote:

> I know very little about runtimes but would it be such a big deal if the
> runtime was actually written in C?

No. But it was not.

> Could I take existing C runtimes and
> rework them to support Ada?

You can, but that won't help you in getting what the BSP does not have.
Chances to get:

1. tasking 1/99
2. networking 1/2
3. reasonable time services 1/999

> I really don't have a clue at this point but
> if someone could point me to some helpful resources, i will try.

This highly depends on the board you have and the BSP coming with the
board.

Typically (in industry) there are third party firms contracted to roll out
the BSP. That is why unless you are Microsoft or planning to buy and then
sell many thousands of boards, it is economically infeasible to take
anything for which there is no a ready-to-use BSP.

Presently you can get a single board x86-compatible PC for 20-50 EUR.
Install Debian as Ludovic suggested, or VxWorks if you are a bit snobbish.
Otherwise, yes, you are in trouble.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov