* So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-08-31 22:04 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-08-31 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have decided to tune off comp.lang.ada. There is not
enough time in the day to read everything around. I am
happy to get email at dewar@gnat.com if there is anything
that people specifically want to discuss with me.

Meanwhile I am busy going over ten years of google archives
and I am extracting useful posts of mine to gather together
in a collection :-)

Robert Dewar

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-01 16:33 ` Peter Richtmyer
From: Peter Richtmyer @ 2002-09-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote in message news:<5ee5b646.0208311404.1b25a276@posting.google.com>...

> I am extracting useful posts of mine...

from which I infer that some were not useful   :-)

Seriously, I always check out what Dewar says in a thread
first, and will miss your posts. But I also suspect that
you might be back again ...?

Peter

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-02  2:06   ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2002-09-02  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Richtmyer wrote:
> dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote in message news:<5ee5b646.0208311404.1b25a276@posting.google.com>...
>
>>I am extracting useful posts of mine...
>
> from which I infer that some were not useful   :-)
>
> Seriously, I always check out what Dewar says in a thread
> first, and will miss your posts. But I also suspect that
> you might be back again ...?
>
> Peter

You will be missed.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-02  6:34     ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2002-09-02  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3D72C7BC.80102@cogeco.ca>,
 "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> You will be missed.

I'm thinking of writing an AI program (in Ada of course!) that will
make occasional posts such as...

   "The LRM says no such thing"
   "That's a declaration, not a specification"
   "Cobol isn't really that bad"

etc.

Dale :-)

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-02 15:04       ` Ben Brosgol
From: Ben Brosgol @ 2002-09-02 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm thinking of writing an AI program (in Ada of course!) that will
> make occasional posts such as...
>
>    "The LRM says no such thing"
>    "That's a declaration, not a specification"
>    "Cobol isn't really that bad"
>
> etc.

Actually if these are to look like quotes from RBKD then they will need to
be slightly modified.  Robert would never refer to the "LRM" (there is no
such thing) but rather use "ARM" ("Ada Reference Manual") or simply "RM".
And he would never spell "COBOL" in mixed case :-)

Ben Brosgol
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-03 14:27       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-09-03 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Stanbrough <dstanbro@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<dstanbro-F22418.16340902092002@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> I'm thinking of writing an AI program (in Ada of course!) that will
> make occasional posts such as...
>
>    "The LRM says no such thing"
>    "That's a declaration, not a specification"
>    "Cobol isn't really that bad"

A Dewarbot? ... I love it. :-)

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-03 15:03       ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-09-03 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm thinking of writing an AI program (in Ada of course!) that will
> make occasional posts such as...
>
>    "The LRM says no such thing"

Well, if the program were actually correct most
of the time (as was RBKD), it would be a good thing.

Otherwise, I'd have to write "DewarBot II" (DBII?)
which always responds to DB I with "That's just FUD,
and we don't need any more FUD."

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-03 15:07         ` sk
From: sk @ 2002-09-03 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

-------------------------------------
with CLA_Io;
with Miscellaneous_Support_Functions;
with Random_Number_Generator;

procedure Dewar_Bot is

    package CLAIO       renames CLA_Io;
    package MSF         renames Miscellaneous_Support_Functions;
    package RNG         renames Random_Number_Generator;

    Date     : MSF.Date_Type;
    Ignoring : Boolean := True;

    type Response_Type is new String (1 .. 20);

        1 => "Rubbish             ",
        2 => "Complete Drivel     ",
        3 => "Nonsense            ",
        4 => "Contact ACT support ",
        5 => "Complete Nonsense   ",
        6 => "Absolute Rubbish    ",
        7 => "See the RM,         "
    );

    Chapter, Verse : Natural := 0;

begin
    loop
        MSF.Get_Date (Date);

        exit when Date = "2002.08.31";

        loop
            CLAIO.Get_Message;

            exit when CLAIO.No_New_CLA_Messages;

            Ignoring := RNG.Get_Random_Boolean_Value;

            if not Ignoring then

                 Response_Id := RNG.Get_Random_Natural (
                     First => Responses'First,
                     Last  => Responses'Last
                 );

                 if Response_Id = Responses'Last then

                     Chapter := RNG.Get_Random_Natural (1 .. 1000);
                     Verse   := RNG.Get_Random_Natural (1 .. 1000);

                     CLAIO.Send_Response (
                         "Chapter : " & Natural'Image (Chapter) &
                         ", Verse : " & Natural'Image (Verse)
                     );

                 else

                     CLAIO.Send_Response (Responses(Response_Id));

                 end if;

            end if;

        end loop;

        MSF.Wait_For_An_Hour_Or_So;

    end loop;

end Dewar_Bot;

-------------------------------------
Please take this in the spirit (and silliness) of the
Dewar. He can't be all that bad ! After all, he did invite
everyone to come and watch a movie on his big-tv once
after he mistakenly posted a personal e-mail

 o o

 \_/

--
-------------------------------------
-- Merge vertically for real address

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-04 22:11 ` François Godmé
From: François Godmé @ 2002-09-04 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:
> I have decided to tune off comp.lang.ada. There is not
> enough time in the day to read everything around. I am
> happy to get email at dewar@gnat.com if there is anything
> that people specifically want to discuss with me.

Sometimes, an evening was barely enough time for me to read just your
posts but I enjoyed your style and your crystal-clear thoughts. You were
the only poster that I read in this newsgroup. (I apologize for all the
other posters. I hope not to offend you.)

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-05 13:40   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 00:11:01 +0200, Fran�ois Godm� wrote:
> Sometimes, an evening was barely enough time for me to read just your
> posts but I enjoyed your style and your crystal-clear thoughts. You were
> the only poster that I read in this newsgroup. (I apologize for all the
> other posters. I hope not to offend you.)

No problem, I don't remember seing any other posts from you either ;-)
But I guess you are not reading this ... :-)

Preben

* Re: So long folks (from Robert Dewar)
@ 2002-09-06 22:01 ` Stanley Allen
From: Stanley Allen @ 2002-09-06 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:
> I have decided to tune off comp.lang.ada

     "Ode for Him"   (with apologies to Robert Herrick)

                  AH, Bob!
              Les Miserables
                 On C.L.A
            Watch you go away.
               So send to us
          Thy wit's great over-plus,
               And summarize
           That talent Googlized.
         For such a stock and store
     Of Ada wit our group shall have no more.

Stanley Allen
mailto:stanley@nehushtan.com