From: jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen)
Subject: Structured editors (was file naming)
Date: 4 Oct 90 14:43:12 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <11612@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> mph@inmos.co.uk (Mike Harrison) writes:
>While I am on my 'hobby horse', I may as well say that I hate and detest
>structured editors (for my own use) in that they force the user to adopt a
>particular approach to ordering the input. I often find that I prefer to
>input programs in an unstructured order (often arbitrarily copying 'chunks'
>of code from other parts of the file or from other files).
>I accept that structured editors may appeal to some (particularly to novices
>or others unfamiliar with the the syntax of the language) but for the
>'professional program' I believe that they just get in the way!

Gee, I guess my 5 years of Ada runtime experience doesn't qualify me as
a "professional program[mer]." Nuts! :-)

Seriously, I find that I make far fewer errors if I get the "end if"
in at the same time that I type the "if." This kind of automated
assistance is a help, not a hindrance, at least to this one non-novice
person.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com