* Re: Demographics of defense software
@ 1991-07-12  3:27 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!ua
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!ua @ 1991-07-12  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.91Jul11211038@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:

>    There have been a variety of postings that essentially reduce to questions
>dealing with the demographics of existing Defense software, such as: how
>many lines of defense Fortran code are there to convert, how complicated is
>the domain of defense programming for reduction by object oriented or domain
>decomposition techniques, what software is available for reuse in any
>language, etc. Unfortunately, really useful demographic data of this type
>(especially in machine readable form) is non-existent.
>     However, attached is a list of titles to defense software programs of
>a non-embedded, actual use type, from the time period of 1975 to 1985. If
>not so indicated, the programs are written in Fortran.
>
>Gregory Aharonian
>Source Translation & Optimization

[the entire title list deleted]

Wow -- here is, IMHO, a national tragedy;  all that military software,
predominately NOT in Ada, and me here, unemployed!  Hey, somebody, out
there!!  I'm YELLING at you!  Somebody!  Hire me!  I know Ada quite
well, and I think I know FORTRAN fairly well -- can't somebody hire me
to help convert/enhance/improve/create some useful code?  Hey -- since
I'm macho-broke and my living demands are quite minimal, how about
$5/hr, full-time, 2 hr/month sick time allowance, no vacation, for one
calendar year?  I betcha in one month, I could impress you enough to double
the pay rate?  If not, I'll go try to find a job at Taco Bell!  I have a BA
Math, some eight years of programming, not just course work, but
personal experimentation, consultant in a computer lab for 3.5 years and
computer operations for 4.5 years and tutoring in computer science for
1.5 years (6 years free-lance) and computer science grader (CS1 and CS2)
for a semester (before the policy that all graders had to be work-study
became effective)...and I know for a fact that I write better code than
most of the operational software out there -- I write maintainable and
reusable code -- why not try me?  Again: one year probation, $5/hr,
full-time, very minimal sick leave allowance and no vacation...not even
any health insurance!

I'm serious, folks!

Ken Wolcott
kwolcott@copper.denver.colorado.edu
kwolcott@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu
kwolcott@cudenver.bitnet

only message in thread, other threads:[~1991-07-12  3:27 UTC | newest]