* [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-12 16:34 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-12 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

The GNU Ada Project [1] is pleased to announce a new GNAT release based on
GCC 4.1.0. The Release is currently available for "SuSE 10.0 x86_64" and
"Solaris 10 UltraSparc" - others are to follow.

The SuSE release consist of all GCC core languages (Ada, C, C++, Fortran,
Java, Obj-C, Obj-C++) and all currently supported libraries and tools
(asis, booch, gdb, gtkada, xmlada).

The Solaris release consists of Ada, C and C++.

Martin Krischik

[1] http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-14 19:26 ` Martin Krischik
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-14 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

> others are to follow.

SuSE 9.2 i586 has been added.

And GLADE (Anex E) for both SuSE releases is being uploaded as I type.

So it's allways worth having another look.

Martin
--

@ 2006-03-14 22:31   ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2006-03-14 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:26:17 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> others are to follow.
>
> SuSE 9.2 i586 has been added.
>
> And GLADE (Anex E) for both SuSE releases is being uploaded as I type.
>
> So it's allways worth having another look.

Thanks Martin!  I was wondering about Annex E support.

I have been planning a move to 64-bit for some time now, and the
uncertainty over the toolchain (and the cost) had held me back.

I now have a 64-bit test system running Linux, but haven't
settled on any particular distribution yet.

Currently, I'm testing Fedora Core 5 Test 3, but it is probably
a bit too "leading edge" for my needs, and I don't want to get
stuck on an OS upgrade treadmill.

I had tried Debian, knowing that Ludovic Brenta was doing
great work on GNAT support in Debian.  But I didn't get on
very well with Sarge, lacking hardware support and multi-arch.
I wasn't sure if I could run the 32-bit applications on it
properly.

Suse seemed very promising, and your creation of a complete
set of GNAT packages makes it quite attractive.  Perhaps this
is what I should use?

As regards Annex E, I am still stuck with the version of Glade
that goes with GNAT 3.15p, and there appears to be a nasty bug
which I hit occasionally.  I had got the impression that
Glade development had halted in favour of PolyOrb.  Which of
these should I be using?  I guess I should stick with Glade
if that is what you have packaged!

Is it easy to make rpms for FC5?  Or can the SuSE rpms be made to work?

Thanks again!
--
Adrian

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-14 23:02     ` Jeffrey Creem
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2006-03-14 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

> Is it easy to make rpms for FC5?  Or can the SuSE rpms be made to work?
>
> Thanks again!
> --
> Adrian

I've been working on Solaris (which is obviously quite different)but on
a prior release I did create a Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 RPM and it was
pretty easy. I would assume FC would be similar.

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-14 23:43     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-03-14 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk.uk.uk> writes:
> I had tried Debian, knowing that Ludovic Brenta was doing great work
> on GNAT support in Debian.  But I didn't get on very well with
> Sarge, lacking hardware support and multi-arch.  I wasn't sure if I
> could run the 32-bit applications on it properly.

As far as I can tell, multiarch support is immature in all
distributions.  Work is ongoing in Debian to provide good multiarch
support, but currently we're restricted to biarch support on some
architecture pairs (i386-amd64, powerpc-ppc64, and sparc-sparc64).
I'm not actually that knowledgeable about biarch myself.  The
technicalities are already complex enough, but there are policy
decisions to be made as well.  Apparently, we're looking at
generalising the toolchain, libraries, filesystem hierarchy, dynamic
loader, package manager (dpkg), and I've probably forgotten some other
things.

That said, have you looked at http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/  ?

Yes, you can run 32-bit applications on it.  In the worst case, you
can always create a chroot containing a complete 32-bit userland
running on top of a 64-bit system.  But as I said, Debian developers
are looking for ways to provide that out of the box.

If you want to do Ada on amd64 with Sarge, you need to use gnat-3.4
instead of gnat.  In Etch, you get gnat-4.0 instead.  I'm now working
on providing gnat-4.1, which, when it stabilises, will become the
default compiler for Ada 2005, C, C++, Fortran 95, Java, Objective C,
and Objective C++.

> Suse seemed very promising, and your creation of a complete
> set of GNAT packages makes it quite attractive.  Perhaps this
> is what I should use?

I don't follow SuSE development, but I am under the impression that
its otherwise good support for amd64 is uniarch only, i.e. support for
32-bit binaries is immature.  Perhaps Martin can confirm or deny.

> As regards Annex E, I am still stuck with the version of Glade
> that goes with GNAT 3.15p, and there appears to be a nasty bug
> which I hit occasionally.  I had got the impression that
> Glade development had halted in favour of PolyOrb.  Which of
> these should I be using?  I guess I should stick with Glade
> if that is what you have packaged!

You can download recent sources of GLADE from AdaCore's CVS
repository[1].  I see there is activity there, the most recent file
was modified 6 days ago.  The change seems to be related to 64-bit
architectures.

[1] https://libre2.adacore.com/cvsweb

It is my intention to take these sources and port them to GCC 4.1.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-15 17:50     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-15 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

> As regards Annex E, I am still stuck with the version of Glade
> that goes with GNAT 3.15p, and there appears to be a nasty bug
> which I hit occasionally.  I had got the impression that
> Glade development had halted in favour of PolyOrb.  Which of
> these should I be using?  I guess I should stick with Glade
> if that is what you have packaged!

Actually PolyORB needs both GLADE and AWS for full support. PolyORB will
compile with less but then it will switch off some of it's features. So
more important is a good unified tool chain.

> Is it easy to make rpms for FC5?  Or can the SuSE rpms be made to work?

The way to go is to download the .src.rpm files for SuSE together with the
configuration files and build them on FC5. Sadly rpmbuild --recompile
support is still on the todo list so you have to install the .src.rpm and
kick off the compile manually.

I would expect it to work on any Linux system. We also have a little
instruction on how to do it:

http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/RPM/HomePage

Of course: If you are successfull then it would be nice if you uploaded the
rpm as well.

Martin

--

@ 2006-03-15 17:56       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-15 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

>> Suse seemed very promising, and your creation of a complete
>> set of GNAT packages makes it quite attractive. ï¿œPerhaps this
>> is what I should use?

> I don't follow SuSE development, but I am under the impression that
> its otherwise good support for amd64 is uniarch only, i.e. support for
> 32-bit binaries is immature. ï¿œPerhaps Martin can confirm or deny.

Most packages come with 32bit compatibility packages which you can
optionally install. Same goes for the compiler. i.E. I only got a GPS for
32bit and that works fine.

You can use linux32 to force an application as 32bit:

/work/rpm/SCRIPTS  Linux  martin@linux2  Mi Mï¿œr 15 18:53:00  standart
>uname -a
Linux linux2 2.6.13-15.8-default #1 Tue Feb 7 11:07:24 UTC 2006 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
/work/rpm/SCRIPTS  Linux  martin@linux2  Mi Mï¿œr 15 18:53:07  standart
>linux32 uname -a
Linux linux2 2.6.13-15.8-default #1 Tue Feb 7 11:07:24 UTC 2006 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux
/work/rpm/SCRIPTS  Linux  martin@linux2  Mi Mï¿œr 15 18:53:13  standart

Martin

The 32bit GPS nags me of course and I regularly try to compile a native
64bit GPS.
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-15 20:02     ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-03-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
> Is it easy to make rpms for FC5?  Or can the SuSE rpms be made to work?

I'm building these packages for 32-bit Fedora 4. I've had to solve lots
of small problems, but I'm almost there now. I'm going to release them
as soon as I figure out how to resolve a conflict between the GDB
packages and the compiler packages (on the files info/dir and
lib/libiberty.a).

I plan to install Fedora 5 shortly after it's released, and then I
expect to be able to build packages for Fedora 5 without too much
trouble, as it's working on Fedora 4 now.

I don't know how much trouble there would be building 64-bit Fedora
packages, but I'd guess any trouble would mostly be in cases where Suse
and Fedora do 64-bit stuff differently.

One problem I had was that initially I didn't have any Gnat/GPL, and
Gnat/GCC couldn't compile Gnat/GPL. I installed the Gnat/GPL package for
Suse and compiled Gnat/GPL for Fedora with that. I had to ignore some
dependencies to get the Suse package installed, but it did successfully
compile the compiler. I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent solution
though.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-16  9:56       ` Jerome Hugues
From: Jerome Hugues @ 2006-03-16  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1278087.EuUEHmVXRb@linux1.krischik.com>, Martin Krischik wrote:
> Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>
>> As regards Annex E, I am still stuck with the version of Glade
>> that goes with GNAT 3.15p, and there appears to be a nasty bug
>> which I hit occasionally.  I had got the impression that
>> Glade development had halted in favour of PolyOrb.  Which of
>> these should I be using?  I guess I should stick with Glade
>> if that is what you have packaged!
>
> Actually PolyORB needs both GLADE and AWS for full support. PolyORB will
> compile with less but then it will switch off some of it's features. So
> more important is a good unified tool chain.

PolyORB need neither GLADE nor AWS, the only current dependency is
on XML/Ada if you wish SOAP support.

It is the user responsibility to swith on features, by default PolyORB
only builds CORBA, without any service.

--
Jerome

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-16 17:13         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2006-03-16 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Hugues

Jerome Hugues a �crit :

> PolyORB need neither GLADE nor AWS, the only current dependency is
> on XML/Ada if you wish SOAP support.

It does not need AWS because part of the SOAP sources are copied from
AWS. But this should change at some point as work have been done to use
directly AWS for SOAP support on PolyORB.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-16 21:33         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-03-16 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Most packages come with 32bit compatibility packages which you can
> optionally install. Same goes for the compiler. i.E. I only got a
> GPS for 32bit and that works fine.

Who packaged that GPS?  Just curious?

> You can use linux32 to force an application as 32bit:
>
> /work/rpm/SCRIPTS  Linux  martin@linux2  Mi Mär 15 18:53:00  standart
>>uname -a
> Linux linux2 2.6.13-15.8-default #1 Tue Feb 7 11:07:24 UTC 2006 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> /work/rpm/SCRIPTS  Linux  martin@linux2  Mi Mär 15 18:53:07  standart
>>linux32 uname -a
> Linux linux2 2.6.13-15.8-default #1 Tue Feb 7 11:07:24 UTC 2006 i686 athlon
> i386 GNU/Linux
> /work/rpm/SCRIPTS  Linux  martin@linux2  Mi Mär 15 18:53:13  standart

Looks like "linux32" is a shell script that wraps a chroot.  Is that
the case?

Thanks for your input.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-17 15:42       ` trg
From: trg @ 2006-03-17 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
fluje3-olg.ln1@newserver.thecreems.com...
> Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>

>> Is it easy to make rpms for FC5?  Or can the SuSE rpms be made to work?
>>
>> Thanks again!
>> --
>> Adrian
>>

> I've been working on Solaris (which is obviously quite different)but on a
> prior release I did create a Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 RPM and it was
> pretty easy. I would assume FC would be similar.

Will ASIS be forthcoming on Solaris?

Thanks,

Tom Grosman, Aonix

grosman@aonix.shoes.fr

-remove shoes to reply

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-17 15:46 ` trg
From: trg @ 2006-03-17 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> a �crit dans le message
de news: 1253120.DI8C0e8O9o@linux1.krischik.com...
> Hello,
>
> The GNU Ada Project [1] is pleased to announce a new GNAT release based on
> GCC 4.1.0. The Release is currently available for "SuSE 10.0 x86_64" and
> "Solaris 10 UltraSparc" - others are to follow.
>
> The SuSE release consist of all GCC core languages (Ada, C, C++, Fortran,
> Java, Obj-C, Obj-C++) and all currently supported libraries and tools
> (asis, booch, gdb, gtkada, xmlada).
>
> The Solaris release consists of Ada, C and C++.
>
> Martin Krischik
>
> [1] http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/
> --

Is there a MS Windows release in the making?

Thanks,

-Tom

grosman@aonix.shoes.fr

-remove shoes to reply

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-17 16:32           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-17 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>> Most packages come with 32bit compatibility packages which you can
>> optionally install. Same goes for the compiler. i.E. I only got a
>> GPS for 32bit and that works fine.
>
> Who packaged that GPS?  Just curious?

AdaCore. I have not yet managed to compile a GPS for quite some whil. I have
event tried using a GNAT/Pro compiler. Ok I have another try with the GPS
3.1.3 right now - I post what came of it.

> Looks like "linux32" is a shell script that wraps a chroot.  Is that
> the case?

list /usr/bin/linux32
"/usr/bin/linux32" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

No.

Martin
--

@ 2006-03-17 17:08             ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-17 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

>> Who packaged that GPS? ï¿œJust curious?
>
> AdaCore. I have not yet managed to compile a GPS for quite some whil. I
> have event tried using a GNAT/Pro compiler. Ok I have another try with the
> GPS 3.1.3 right now - I post what came of it.

No does not work:

----------------------
gnatmake -Pgps gps-main.adb
gcc -c -g -gnatec=/work/rpm/BUILD/gps-gps-3_1_3/gps/gnat_debug.adc -g -O
-gnata -gnatVa -gnatQ -gnaty -gnatwjmeurk -Wall -I-
-gnatA /work/rpm/BUILD/gps-gps-3_1_3/gps/src/gps-main.adb
gcc -c -g -gnatec=/work/rpm/BUILD/gps-gps-3_1_3/gps/gnat_debug.adc -g -O
-gnata -gnatVa -gnatQ -gnaty -gnatwjmeurk -Wall -I-
-gnatA /work/rpm/BUILD/gps-gps-3_1_3/action_editor/src/action_editor.adb
gnatmake: external source (a-string.ads) is not part of any project; cannot
be compiled without gnatmake switch -x
make[1]: *** [internal-build] Fehler 4
make: *** [default] Fehler 2

RPM build errors:
----------------------

Why it is trying to recompile a-string.ads?

Martin
--

@ 2006-03-17 20:27               ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-03-17 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Why it is trying to recompile a-string.ads?

Try "chmod a-w /path/to/a-string.ali".

--
Bjï¿œrn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-18  0:59         ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2006-03-18  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

trg wrote:
> "Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> a �crit dans le message de news:

>>I've been working on Solaris (which is obviously quite different)but on a
>>prior release I did create a Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 RPM and it was
>>pretty easy. I would assume FC would be similar.
>>

> Will ASIS be forthcoming on Solaris?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Grosman, Aonix
>
> grosman@aonix.shoes.fr
>
> -remove shoes to reply

Yes. Sorry it has taken so long to get to where we are. I did a machine
upgrade back in Jan (ultra 1 was just not cutting it) but then things
got sort of busy at work.

With any luck, ASIS for Solaris will be released sometime this weekend.
I expect that we may end up with a few releases for gcc 4.1.0 as we
cleanup the build script/release process.

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-18  1:32 ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2006-03-18  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:34:51 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The GNU Ada Project [1] is pleased to announce a new GNAT release based on
> GCC 4.1.0. The Release is currently available for "SuSE 10.0 x86_64" and
> "Solaris 10 UltraSparc" - others are to follow.
>
> The SuSE release consist of all GCC core languages (Ada, C, C++, Fortran,
> Java, Obj-C, Obj-C++) and all currently supported libraries and tools
> (asis, booch, gdb, gtkada, xmlada).

Is this likely to work with SuSE 10.1 (Beta 8), and the 10.1 release
expected in mid April?  I don't know enough about the changes between
these releases to be sure.

I'd like to try out SuSE, and if it gives what I need, install 10.1
when it comes out on a "production" machine.

Thanks.
--
Adrian

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-18 15:56 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-03-18 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

The first release for Fedora from the GNU Ada Project is out. It is
packaged for Fedora Core 4 on i386, and includes GCC 4.1.0 and Gnat/GPL
2005 with ASIS, the Booch components, GDB, GTK/Ada and XML/Ada. For the
GCC edition Glade is also included.

--

@ 2006-03-19  9:59   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:34:51 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The GNU Ada Project [1] is pleased to announce a new GNAT release based
>> on GCC 4.1.0. The Release is currently available for "SuSE 10.0 x86_64"
>> and "Solaris 10 UltraSparc" - others are to follow.
>>
>> The SuSE release consist of all GCC core languages (Ada, C, C++, Fortran,
>> Java, Obj-C, Obj-C++) and all currently supported libraries and tools
>> (asis, booch, gdb, gtkada, xmlada).
>
> Is this likely to work with SuSE 10.1 (Beta 8), and the 10.1 release
> expected in mid April? I don't know enough about the changes between
> these releases to be sure.

I got an update abo for SuSE - so if SuSE 10.1 comes out a new gnat will
come out as well.

Besides: GNAT/GPL does not compile "out of the box" on SuSE 10.0 - you need
to bootstrap with a GNAT/GPL version compiled on SuSE 9.3. Which shows that
a gnat installation tend to work on the next version as well.

> I'd like to try out SuSE, and if it gives what I need, install 10.1
> when it comes out on a "production" machine.

Try www.opensuse.com and download a SuSE 10.0 then. SuSE 10.0 even got
network install.

Martin
--

@ 2006-03-19 20:24     ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2006-03-19 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:59:40 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:

> Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:34:51 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The GNU Ada Project [1] is pleased to announce a new GNAT release based
>>> on GCC 4.1.0. The Release is currently available for "SuSE 10.0 x86_64"
>>> and "Solaris 10 UltraSparc" - others are to follow.
>>>
>>> The SuSE release consist of all GCC core languages (Ada, C, C++, Fortran,
>>> Java, Obj-C, Obj-C++) and all currently supported libraries and tools
>>> (asis, booch, gdb, gtkada, xmlada).
>>
>> Is this likely to work with SuSE 10.1 (Beta 8), and the 10.1 release
>> expected in mid April? I don't know enough about the changes between
>> these releases to be sure.
>
> I got an update abo for SuSE - so if SuSE 10.1 comes out a new gnat will
> come out as well.
>
> Besides: GNAT/GPL does not compile "out of the box" on SuSE 10.0 - you need
> to bootstrap with a GNAT/GPL version compiled on SuSE 9.3. Which shows that
> a gnat installation tend to work on the next version as well.
>
>> I'd like to try out SuSE, and if it gives what I need, install 10.1
>> when it comes out on a "production" machine.
>
> Try www.opensuse.com and download a SuSE 10.0 then. SuSE 10.0 even got
> network install.

Actually, I've just tried the SuSE 10.1 Beta 8, to see how I get on
with it.

The OS gave me some trouble at first.  It fails to (NFS) install
with "just" 256MB of RAM.  It took a long time to figure out
what ftructure it needed for NFS installation (it worked when I
had each CD as a separate NFS export, and gave it the path to
the first CD.  Fedora installed from a simple directory of .iso files!).

Xorg installed with an invisible pointer(!), but that was cured with
the SWCursor option.  It spontaneously rebooted while I wasn't watching,
before the installation was complete.  It only mounts NFS over UDP
because TCP isn't available (how do I fix this?).  And I haven't
figured out how to accept incoming connections to the X server
(even xhost + doesn't work)(hints please!).  The default of deleting
all data on all drives seems a bit unfriendly, but I spotted that
before pressing "OK".  And I haven't yet figured out where to get
my favorite packages, such as mp3/media players or rxvt.
I think the proprietary and relatively new chipset on the
Gigabyte GA K8N51GMF S754 motherboard has complicated things,
because a lot of Linux distributions have only just started supporting
it, limiting one to "bleeding edge" versions.

As regards GNAT, your packages installed OK, once I had realized I needed
the gnat-conf package first. (I didn't find all the instructions until
after things had failed).  I "--force"ed gdb after it complained about
conflict with /opt/gnat/gcc/lib/libiberty.a.  Aside from these two
"gotchas", I am very pleased with the simplicity and completeness
of the installation. (Show_GNAT doesn't mention GLADE yet).
Thanks for the work, Martin!   I think I could probably learns a few
tips from the scripts you've put together.  I'll try to get
Florist installed soon too.

When it comes to the Ada, it has been a little bit disappointing though.

First I got copious "warning: frame size too large for reliable stack
checking" messages when using "-fstack-check", and other (new) minor
warnings.  Some previously clean code even complained about types
being frozen before declaration.  Some options have become obsolete,
causing build scripts to fail ("deferred_termination" in GLADE,
for example).

Running 'gate' to convert the GUI, developed in Glade into Ada failed:
raised STORAGE_ERROR : stack overflow (or erroneous memory access)
Couldn't generate Ada code. Exiting.
I shall do some experiments to try to find out what is wrong.
I think the version of Glade I had previosly used was too old, but
it is still an unfriendly result.

Perhaps the biggest problem I face, is linking in 32-bit libraries.
This come from third parties, and I have no source code to recompile
for the 64-bit architecture.

One solution, is to run the 32-bit libraries with 32-bit Ada in
separate 32-bit Annex E partitions.  The 64-bit code can still
be used for the bulk of the software, and the partitioning is
already structured to allow this.  But if adds hassle to the
build and configuration management and tool chain requirements :(

Has anyone experience of running dual architectures under GLADE
on a single machine?  Is this the simplest way of running
a 64-bit program with 32-bit libraries?  Presumably I need to
install 32-bit GNAT and GLADE, and run them under a chroot
with "linux32"?  Then I need to get Gnatdist to make code to
invoke the 32-bit components in a 32-bit environment too?
How closely matched do the compilers have to be?  Will any
version of GNAT/Glade compile partitions to work with any other?
Do I need the full architecture-independent GLADE filters?  Or
are the architectures sufficiently similar to work without the
extra layer of conversion?

The SuSE installation gives me the opportunity to try out
these new GNAT builds, and I should be able to get a test
system running with that.  For the production system,
I think I'll try Debian again.  Fedora and particularly
SuSE have been rather frustrating in several ways.
But I am still quite a way off putting a 64-bit system
into production on this project...
--
Adrian

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-20  0:23       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-03-20  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Adrian Wrigley

Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

> And I haven't
> figured out how to accept incoming connections to the X server
> (even xhost + doesn't work)(hints please!).

When working locally with 2 different uids, adding xauth
credentials and DISPLAY for the other user has usually been sufficient.
X11 forwarding settings for ssh might help in other circumstances.

(I also remember there was an issue with ports and, alas, a telnet
setting(?) when the connection was across machines. FWIW.)

HTH,
 Georg Bauhaus

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-21 12:04         ` Rob Norris
From: Rob Norris @ 2006-03-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:23:13 +0100, Georg Bauhaus
<bauhaus@futureapps.de> wrote:

>Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>
>> And I haven't
>> figured out how to accept incoming connections to the X server
>> (even xhost + doesn't work)(hints please!).
>
>When working locally with 2 different uids, adding xauth
>credentials and DISPLAY for the other user has usually been sufficient.
>X11 forwarding settings for ssh might help in other circumstances.
>
>(I also remember there was an issue with ports and, alas, a telnet
>setting(?) when the connection was across machines. FWIW.)
>
>HTH,
> Georg Bauhaus

There's some settings in the display manager.

If you're using gdm it's in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf [security] bit.

Normally you can use the login display manager to change the settings.

You may need to reboot to get the settings to be applied.

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-21 13:49           ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2006-03-21 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:04:14 +0000, Rob Norris wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:23:13 +0100, Georg Bauhaus
> <bauhaus@futureapps.de> wrote:
>
>>Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>>
>>> And I haven't
>>> figured out how to accept incoming connections to the X server
>>> (even xhost + doesn't work)(hints please!).
>>
>>When working locally with 2 different uids, adding xauth
>>credentials and DISPLAY for the other user has usually been sufficient.
>>X11 forwarding settings for ssh might help in other circumstances.
>>
>>(I also remember there was an issue with ports and, alas, a telnet
>>setting(?) when the connection was across machines. FWIW.)
>>
>>HTH,
>> Georg Bauhaus
>
> There's some settings in the display manager.
>
> If you're using gdm it's in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf [security] bit.

That's what I looked for... but the file wasn't there.  I looked
all over the place in the GUI for gdmsetup, or similar.
The security settings were even blocking yast2 and the control-center
from running on the X server I started manually.

I found what I was looking for under /etc/opt/gnome/gdm and
/opt/gnome/sbin/gdmsetup.  And under /usr/X11R6/bin/startx, which
disables tcp too.  And the firewall seemed to be running too, even though
I had disabled it on installation.  I've got "locate" installed now,
so I'm less likely to be thrown by binaries in odd places...

> Normally you can use the login display manager to change the settings.
>
> You may need to reboot to get the settings to be applied.

Things are running a lot smoother now, and Martin's GNAT builds
are working nicely (after disabling the technicolor prompt!), apart
from 'gate' (for building GUIs), which crashes horribly.

I'm still looking into the issue of 32-bit libraries with GLADE.
--
Adrian

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-03-21 19:34             ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-03-21 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:

> (after disabling the technicolor prompt!)

What - you don't like the prompt? Do you know that 15 years of experience
and continues improvement went into that extraordinary super prompt! The
layout and colors have been optimized to work equally well with MS-DOS,
OS/2, Windows NT and Linux and give you all the informations you need for
all your shell work in just one line!! And most importantly: It tells you
which GNAT is currently active.

;-)

Martin
--

@ 2006-03-21 21:15               ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2006-03-21 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:34:05 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:

> Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>
>> (after disabling the technicolor prompt!)
>
> What - you don't like the prompt? Do you know that 15 years of experience
> and continues improvement went into that extraordinary super prompt! The
> layout and colors have been optimized to work equally well with MS-DOS,
> OS/2, Windows NT and Linux and give you all the informations you need for
> all your shell work in just one line!! And most importantly: It tells you
> which GNAT is currently active.

only 15 years?  My prompt has over 20 years of experience built in!

By the way... since you're nearby...

I'm having difficulty building stuff with GtkAda packages,
for example, /opt/gnat/gcc/share/examples/gtkada/editor

Everything goes fine until the final link:

gnatlink gladeedit.ali -g -L/opt/gnat/gcc/lib -lgtkada -L/usr/X11R6/lib64
-L/opt/gnome/lib64 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0
-lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl
-lglib-2.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lXrender -lX11 -lXext -lpng12 -lz
-lglitz -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gnatlink: cannot call /opt/gnat/gcc/bin/gcc
gnatmake: *** link failed.
make: *** [all] Error 4

$ ls -l /opt/gnome/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      26 2006-03-18 19:26 /opt/gnome/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 -> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.10
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3362816 2006-03-14 00:47 /opt/gnome/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.10

I can see the -L/opt/gnome/lib64 in the gcc line, but somehow, it doesn't
find the gtk-x11-2.0  (and gdk and probably other stuff)

why doesn't it find the library?

And I have just been playing with building 32-bit binaries with gnat,
it tries (and fails) to link with the 64-bit libgnat.a.
I'm slightly surprised it even tries to link the wrong architecture
library in.  Do you think it would be straightforward for me to
build the 32-bit version of libgnat.a, and get the "-m32" option
working properly?
--
Adrian

* Re: [gnuada] gcc 4.1.0 available
@ 2006-04-01 15:03   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-04-01 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

trg wrote:

> "Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> a ï¿œcrit dans le message
> de news: 1253120.DI8C0e8O9o@linux1.krischik.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> The GNU Ada Project [1] is pleased to announce a new GNAT release based
>> on GCC 4.1.0. The Release is currently available for "SuSE 10.0 x86_64"
>> and "Solaris 10 UltraSparc" - others are to follow.
>>
>> The SuSE release consist of all GCC core languages (Ada, C, C++, Fortran,
>> Java, Obj-C, Obj-C++) and all currently supported libraries and tools
>> (asis, booch, gdb, gtkada, xmlada).
>>
>> The Solaris release consists of Ada, C and C++.
>>
>> Martin Krischik
>>
>> [1] http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/
>> --
>
> Is there a MS Windows release in the making?

We just added a version for cygwin. MinGW is planned as well but we don't
know when it will be finished.

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net