From: brbarkstrom@gmail.com
Subject: Re: some questions on installing Ada on Linux
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 12:06:38 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-10-07T12:06:38-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, July 4, 2014 6:16:10 AM UTC-4, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> some basic questions. Goggling these is giving me hard so
>
> I thought I ask here.
>

> What is the correct way to install Ada on Linux these days?
>
> I am on Linux mint 17.
>

> 1) Should one install GNAT on Linux by downloading tar files from
>
> http://libre.adacore.com  (GPL 2014 edition) or use
>

>    sudo apt-get install gnat-4.8
>

> 2) Will the sudo installation install all the stuff listed at
>
> libre.adacore.com? including GPS editor and all the other
>
> packages?
>

> 3) Which is more recent, gnat-4.8 or GPL 2014 edition?
>

> 4) When I go to http://libre.adacore.com/download/configurations
>
> is there a way to tell it to check everything for download,
>
> without one having to spend 1 hr clicking on the check-box
>
> for each item? I do not see "select all"
>

> It is really confusing having Ada/GNAT in 2 different places.
>
> Why not have one place to install Ada from so it is less
>
> confusing to users?
>

> --Nasser

After rereading section 3.2 (and subsections) of the Debian policy,
I will make my life as an Ada (almost entirely) developer simpler by
avoiding the Debian packaging as much as possible.  I do not have a
staff to assiduously comb through other packages to deal with the rules.
Also, I'm not trying to keep up with GNU GNAT.  I want the most stable
environment I can get.  That will become particularly important as I
start to work on an environment with concurrent processing, such as
a beowulf Linux cluster using PolyORB and the AWS.  As I said, there
are many dimensions to the decision.  I've made my choice.

Bruce B.