From: "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Subject: Re: License and Compiler Confusion
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:36:16 -0800
Date: 2006-03-26T21:36:16-08:00	[thread overview]

Bj�rn Persson wrote:
> Martin Krischik wrote:
>> That's only for the Libre distributed runtime library of GNAT. For some
>> unknown reason they come with a stricter license then the FSF. But
>> they are
>> not available for FreeBSD anyway so don't worry.
>
> The package description that Jason linked to seems to indicate that
> someone has packaged Gnat GPL for FreeBSD.

Someone wrote the package description before someone did the work.  I
was perusing the CVS logs for the FreeBSD port.  The Ada frontend
(thanks for pointing out that distinction) for GCC 4.1 is not yet
included with FreeBSD's port of gcc41

I tried rolling my own diff to the FreeBSD port but I haven't figured
out how to bootstrap the compilation.  Combinations of setting PATH and
CC haven't worked so far.  I had hoped my existing gnat-3.15 would
bootstrap gcc41 and just work.  The configure script says I have no
support for Ada.

This means I'll have to actually dig into it, or wait for someone else.
  Digging in isn't so bad since the intent here is learning.  There is
nothing better to help me learn that to break something and then fix it.

Anyway, the original question has been answered.  GCC 4.1 has the
license terms I desire.

Later,
Jason C. Wells