From: "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Subject: License and Compiler Confusion
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:46:58 -0800
Date: 2006-03-25T08:46:58-08:00	[thread overview]

I am a FreeBSD user.  I was thinking of picking up a language and I am
considering Ada.  I came across this:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/lang/gnat/pkg-descr

	Binaries built with this version of compiler are covered by the
	GPL license.  Use the Ada compiler bundled with GCC 4.0 and
	subsequent for LGPL licensing.

I also read the FAQ at adacore:

	https://libre2.adacore.com/dynamic/gnat_faq.html#licensing

I prefer to use a compiler that doesn't encumber my programs with any
terms.  So I am confused by seemingly contradictory statements.  One
source says I can't use gnat without encumbering my programs.  Another
source says I can use gcc and my programs won't be encumbered.

Are gcc and gnat two different pieces of software?  I was under the
impression that gnat was simply gcc with Ada related tweaks.

Can I write Ada 2005 programs without GPL-ing my code using a FOSS
compiler?  How?

Gnat-3.15 doesn't confuse me.  I would use that except I suppose that if
I am getting started I should write in the Ada 2005 spec rather than the
95 spec.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells