From: uvaarpa!vger.nsu.edu!g_harrison@mcnc.org  (George C. Harrison, Norfolk St ate University)
Subject: Re: Is CM important? (was: Use pragma I
Date: 20 Jul 91 10:04:02 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Jul18.140333.23818@auto-trol.com>, mattel@auto-trol.com (Matt T
elles) writes:
> Next, let's throw it open to a more organized debate:
>
> What do you think IS important for a computer scientist to know?  Not what IS
N'T
> important .. what should be taught.  (Never mind about how many hours it take
> to graduate or what other courses will be taught....)

> Matt.
> --
=
> Matt Telles 	                 mattel@auto-trol.COM
>                                  {...}ncar!ico!auto-trol!mattel
> Auto-trol Technology 12500 N Washington Denver, CO 80241-2404 (303)252-2874

ACM, of course, has a definition here.  I may or may not agree with all the
topics, but a computer scientist (or future computer scientist) should be
taught how to keep up with changing technologies.  A 22 year old senior with a
lot of knowledge is not a guarantee that at age 30 this person will have the
same potential for success.

There will be new tools, new languages (sound familiar?), etc.

George...
George C. Harrison, Professor of Computer Science
Norfolk State University, 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk VA 23504
Internet:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu    Phone:  804-683-8654