From: mcsun!uknet!stl!crosfield!pdg@uunet.uu.net  (paul goffin)
Subject: Re: Public Forum Issue/Nitpick
Date: 25 Nov 91 09:04:27 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Nov21.222253.1040@milton.u.washington.edu>, mfeldman@milton.u.w
ashington.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>  [ stuff deleted ]
>
> BTW - there is a different style used in Europe, and it's supported
> by several prettyprinters. I don't recall the details - does anyone
> else out there?
>
> Wishing you all good luck with your case religions, I remain
>
> Mike

The Upper/Lower question case has been the most controversial issue on every
Ada coding standard meeting that I have attended.  (Perhaps because it is
about such a trivial thing that _everyone_ has an opinion.)

Another good one is file name conventions.  (.Spec, .Proc, .Task, P_Test.ada
                                              S_Test.ada etc.)

The 'European' style is, however:-

lower case for reserved words.
Capitial letters used for the Initial letters of most words in identifiers.

Thus:-

procedure Test is
    Counter : Integer;
    Another_Counter : Integer;
    Long_and_Complex_Name : Float;
       -- opinions vary as to whether or not the 'and' should be 'And'.
begin

    Counter := 1;
    -- etc.
end Test;

The Telesoft pretty printer supports this style (-e option).  I think Verdix
does as well.

Paul.