From: John McCormick <mccormick@cs.uni.edu>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for topics in an Ada course?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:53:10 -0800
Date: 2007-11-12T07:53:10-08:00	[thread overview]

Hello Peter,

I have been teaching Ada to students with C/C++/Java backgrounds for
two decades. I have gotten many of these students hooked on Ada.
Those students who have a strong dislike for software engineering
principles are the least likely to appreciate Ada.

I have some of my current course work on my web site

CS 810:059   Our CS1 course (no programming background assumed)
http://cns2.uni.edu/~mccormic/059

CS 810:063   A traditional data structures course for people with two
semesters of OO programming in C++/Java under their belt
http://cns2.uni.edu/~mccormic/063/

CS 810:188   A special topics course on concurrent programming with
Ada
http://cns2.uni.edu/~mccormic/188/

If they have enough programming skills, I would suggest you teach them
concurrent programming in Ada.  Burns and Wellings have a new book out
that I plan to use this Spring - Concurrent and Real-Time Programming
in Ada, Cambridge University Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-521-86697-2.  I
suggest that you avoid GUI or graphics programming.  The Ada tools are
simply not up to what they have seen in C++ and Java.  This
observation is supported by a keynote speaker I heard at the SIGAda
conference last week.  He said that the new en-route air traffice
control software now being installed is about 50% Ada and 50% C++.
The C++ is for the intense graphics needed by a controller.  The Ada
is for the parts that can't fail.

I'd be happy to discuss any of my work with you on or off the
newsgroup.

John