From: Harald Korneliussen <vintermann@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: A scary story from the real world.
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:36:08 -0000
Date: 2007-11-12T07:36:08+00:00	[thread overview]

On Nov 11, 12:03 am, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
> "...I don't believe in it." Aha--now we're getting somewhere. Language
> choice is apparently like religion, based on a belief system. People's
> choice of religion is almost always the religion in which they were
> born into. It must be the same for programming languages. But religion
> is inherently belief-based whereas programmers take pride in being
> logical and rational. So why _do_ programmers act as though language
> choice is a belief system?

Why invoke religion? anon below comments that the future for Microsoft
is Visual Basic. While I'm no fan of MS technologies, I know enough
about them to know that this is nonsense: Microsoft's strategy right
now is going for a multiple-lanuage virtual machine runtime, with a
Java-like language as the main development language.

Now, one may argue whether the Java/C# approach of virtual machines,
sandboxes, bytecode verification etc. is better than the Ada approach,
but it is at least an attempt. It's not as if they're doing nothing.

But the fact that anon doesn't even mention this, and instead invokes
the age-old spectre of Visual Basic, tells me that not everyone on
this side of the fence is interested in other approaches, to put it
like that.