* function Clock return Time; Time is a number, a string...?
@ 2007-11-06 22:32 j.khaldi
From: j.khaldi @ 2007-11-06 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In "package Ada.Calendar"..
function Clock return Time; // what is the type of Time here?
A string? A number? Something else?
"Time" has been declarated "private", this means it is untyped yet;
In other words, if I had to call the the function Year with the
argument Date, how should I do:
Date := The_Date; // for example: 11 dicember 2004
GetYear := Year(Date);
Thanks!

Jilani

* Re: function Clock return Time; Time is a number, a string...?
@ 2007-11-06 23:21 ` anon
From: anon @ 2007-11-06 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Ada it is a private maybe numeric type or it could be something else
and in the Ada.Calendar package their are other routines that convert this
private type to other type that a program can use.

To use:

--
-- tt.adb
--

with Text_IO ;
use Text_IO ;

with Ada.Integer_Text_IO ;
use Ada.Integer_Text_IO ;

procedure tt is

  Clock_Value : Time := Clock ;

begin

  Put ( "Date => " ) ;

  Put ( Year ( Clock_Value ), 4 ) ;

  Put ( '/' ) ;

  if Month ( Clock_Value ) < 10 then
    Put ( '0' ) ;
  end if ;
  Put ( Month ( Clock_Value ), 1 ) ;

  Put ( '/' ) ;

  if Day ( Clock_Value ) < 10 then
    Put ( '0' ) ;
  end if ;
  Put ( Day ( Clock_Value ), 1 ) ;
  New_Line ;

end ;

@ 2007-11-07  0:15 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-11-07  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

j.khaldi@oltrelinux.com wrote:
> In "package Ada.Calendar"..
> function Clock return Time; // what is the type of Time here?
> A string? A number? Something else?
> "Time" has been declarated "private", this means it is untyped yet;
> In other words, if I had to call the the function Year with the
> argument Date, how should I do:
> Date := The_Date; // for example: 11 dicember 2004
> GetYear := Year(Date);
> Thanks!
>
> Jilani

It is private and you don't get to know and any code you write that
attempts to guess will almost certainly break. If you need to do what
you are asking you need to use the other subprograms in calendar to
build a time value based on non private items.

In your case

date := Ada.Calendar.Time_Of(year => 2004, Month => 12, Day => 11);

* Re: function Clock return Time; Time is a number, a string...?
@ 2007-11-07 10:49 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-11-07 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 14:32 -0800, j.khaldi@oltrelinux.com wrote:
> In "package Ada.Calendar"..
> function Clock return Time; // what is the type of Time here?
> A string? A number? Something else?

No, because...
> "Time" has been declarated "private", this means it is untyped yet;
... this means Time is indeed fully typed, but privately--stay out of
its living room and use the public interface of the type Time
to deal with Time objects.
See Jeffrey Cream's post for an example, and
http://www.adaic.org/standards/05rm/html/RM-9-6.html
for more details.

* Re: function Clock return Time; Time is a number, a string...?
@ 2007-11-07 10:56   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-11-07 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:49 +0100, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> See Jeffrey Cream's post for an example, and
                ^e sorry.