From: Georg Bauhaus <rm.tsoh+bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Only one Ada vendor?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:36:38 +0100
Date: 2007-10-29T12:35:57+01:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 12:13 +0100, Jerry van Dijk wrote:
> Colossus.Pike@worldnet.att.net (anon) writes:
>
> > But to start with is that GNAT is to most not a true Ada compiler.  It is
> > an "Experimental" and "Educational" Ada compiler only.  Adacore has not
> > tried to make it a standard compiler.

>  But to work that market needs accurate and complete
> information, not the FUD spreading above.

Maybe there is a point in saying that some of the latest offerings
of AdaCore had included "experimental" support for the *new* features of
the Ada 2005 language, in addition to the fully supported Ada 95--much
like compilers for Eiffel or C++ include limited or changing support
for new features of the latest editions of the respective languages.

If some decision maker, by some necessity, has only limited knowledge of
what it means to have a compiler for some programming language,
it makes a difference to say "We fully support X, period! We
support the new Y as well, to the extent that customers...".
It is important to know the decision criteria, and to provide
suitable and still adequate descriptions to the decision makers.