From: Lucretia <lucretia9@lycos.co.uk>
Subject: Re: What are the limitations imposed by GNAT without runtime?
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:00:58 -0700
Date: 2007-10-10T12:00:58-07:00	[thread overview]

On Oct 10, 6:51 pm, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>   To test this type:   "gnat compile kernel.adb -S"
>   Then check the file: "kernel.s"
>
>     You will see that without the "pragma NO_RUN_TIME" statement
>     there is a data string of "ONETWO" which can be use by IMAGE
>     attribute.  But with the pragma the string "ONETWO" is
>     removed as well as the code that uses the data string, so
>     you have to build your own version.

Well, the assembly doesn't give any ASCII representation, but doing an
objdump on the file does.

Basically, the pragma No_Run_Time definitely has no effect on gnat
4.2.2, the string is there with or without the pragma.

> Now in my answer I provide an example function based on your type with
> two objects. If you had a type with more than a couple of objects, then
> you might want to use an array with the type value as part of the index
> algorithm to that array.
>
> This is one of the problems using the "pragma NO_RUN_TIME ;"
> statement! Which became obsolescent after GNAT 3.15P .
>
> From the GNAT_RM 3.15P :

I really don't fancy trying to build an older gnat, especially on a 64
bit OS.

> Now, from the GCC 4.3 => GNAT_RM :
>
> Chapter 14: Obsolescent Features                                    211

[snip]
>  14.1 pragma No Run Time
>
>  The pragma No_Run_Time is used to achieve an affect similar to the
>  use of the "Zero Foot Print" configurable run time, but without

And this ZFP profile doesn't exist in the gcc-4.2.2 docs, it's
mentioned in 14.1, but that's all.

Luke.